ordering from Indonesia - crazy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

are

by are

I'm in the USA. I've was searching around for the Easton ec90 aero 55 - not ready to pull the trigger, but curious what they're selling for. And I found a site for a bike shop that seems to be in Indonesia called Kurnia Bike. They're selling the wheelset for less than most places sell the front wheel alone. I know regional markets are very different, but how can that be? Would ordering a wheelset from Indonesia be crazy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

If it seems to good to be true, it usually is. There are quite often major differences market to market in pricing structure. But that seems a bit excessive!

Check on Eastons homepage, see if they have a list of dealers.
Chances are that the wheels are a) fakes or b) non-existent.

gravity

by gravity

Don't do it.

ak47

by ak47

It's a scam.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

"For online purchase, you may use bank transfer, Paypal or mail us a money order or personal check" Basically no protection payments.

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/8010 ... _Scams.htm

Svetty

by Svetty

The 'if it looks too good.......' principle is a good one generally. However it would help if people stating 'it's a scam' clarify whether they know this for a fact or just suspect without any concrete evidence - like posting a link as above.
Incidentally, PayPal does give some protection these days.....

sungod

by sungod

every time i've checked for someone it's been a scam, i don't bother looking anymore

the reality is that there is no legal way they could acquire many of the items they claim to be selling at a cost that would deliver margin needed to operate - high-end, latest models, etc., dirt cheap, yeah sure

as such sites are run by criminals it's really best to not post links to them or visit them, aside from taking money direct they may also be hosting malware to harvest your bank/card/other info and inflict further damage

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

As an Asian, I can tell you that high end bike gear is not cheap(er) here in the region - the more savvy/bargain-hunting shoppers locally will always go to the US/UK /German retailers online for our stuff.

are

by are

Thanks all - no longer tempted!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com