How much Revo sealant to use with tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I have a 240ml bottle of Continental Revo Sealant. How much do I need to add to a 25mm Vittoria Pave CG tubular? The instructions on the back of the bottle seem to be for tubeless mountain bike tires, not road tubulars.

Geoff

by Geoff

I would not recommend sealant in a tubular. Sealant works great in tubeless applications, including road tubeless, but because there is a tube inside a sewn casing for tubulars, the sealant might not work as well, or at all. There are lots of instances on this Board where sealants have not performed in a tubular application. Further, if the sealant leaks between the tube and the casing, it might make the tire more difficult to do a 'conventional' repair later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Up until my current tubular wheels have always pre-treated with Stan's, 40 or 50 ml. I can only speak from experience but the time I found a "Bindi-eye"[Aussie thorn] sticking out of my tyre I puled it out, monentary ffft and sealed. Probably rode that tyre for another 1500 k's or there about. I never would carry any tools, CO2 etc and never had a problem. It worked for me. I'm now riding Conti Comps untreated but carrying a small bottle of Stan's and a pair of CO2 cannisters. I never looked inside the tyres before i ditched them but I also never had any imbalance problems etc, it worked for me.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

Jman

by Jman

I used to run pre-treated tubulars and had few punctures which the sealant dealt with ok. But before it seals the puncture you lose some pressure. For a few years now I have run my tubulars non-treated and carried small bottle of sealant and CO2 pump with me. Works perfectly.

Few years ago one tubulars were pre-treated with Schwalbe Doc blue and it didn't work. Don't remember which other sealant I used when pre-treating but when I have carried sealant with me, Tufo Extreme and most recently Joe's NoFlats racer have been working perfectly for me.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I use ~80ml of Stan's in my tubulars from day 1, ride every day until the cords show. If I get a puncture I don't know about it, just keep riding.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

https://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/accessories/revosealant_en.html wrote:For years Continental tire sealants have been replacing the spare tire in many vehicles. This technology has now been further enhanced especially to meet the requirements for use in bicycles and tubes. The ammonium- and protein-free RevoSealant provides reliable sealing for punctures and small cuts without chemically corroding the tire or tube.

Revolution Tubeless Ready

The versatile RevoSealant is not only useful for repairs, but can also be used as a preventive measures in tubes, tubular tires and tubeless tires. With suitable tires, RevoSealant can also be used as a sealant for the Tubeless Ready systems which are popular on MTB's. RevoSealant, which is specially optimized for use in Continental cycle tires, can be used in temperatures as low as as -20° Celsius. Please carefully follow the accompanying assembly instructions.
I have a 240 ml bottle, which I have not yet used. Unfortunately, the accompanying assembly instructions, which are provided on the label bottle, don't seem to directly address use in tubulars, even Continental tubular cycle tires.

Per the label, amount per tire (I presume width is in inches for MTB tires)
2.0 to 2.1 width: 80 to 100 ml
2.2 to 2.3 width: 100 to 120 ml
2.4 to 2.5 width: 120 to 150 ml
Instructions for tubeless and RTR usage: Inflate to 2.5 bar (~35 psi).

So I have no idea how much to use for a 25 mm (1.0 inch) width tubular. I'm going to make a wild guess of about 15 to 20 ml, and certainly not higher than 30 ml.

So yes, Mr. Continental website which tells me it is suitable for use as preventive measures in tubulars and is specially optimized for use in Continental cycle tires, I would be glad to carefully follow the accompanying assembly instructions if instructions were actually provided for this use for which you say the product is suitable.

I just submitted a customer service technical request inquiry on Conti's website
How much RevoSealant should be used as a preventive measure in Continental Competition 22 mm, and also 25 mm tubulars?
The instructions on my bottle don't address tubulars.
Thanks.
I will report back with any findings.

Note: It has never been my intention to use it as a preventive measure, but only for "repair" in the event of a flat. If I lived in Tucson, which has many goathead thorns, perhaps I'd consider using it as a preventive measure.

lannes

by lannes

I use 30ml of stans in each tubular, this seems to work

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I never received a reply or even an auto-reply from the Conti web form submission.

So today I went to the Conti UK site, which provided the address info@conti-tyres.co.uk for inquiries.

HammerTime2 wrote:How much RevoSealant should be used as a preventive measure in Conti Competition 22 mm tubulars, and how much in Conti Competition 25 mm tubulars?

Two hours later, Conti UK wrote:We recommend 40ml in both tyres; the more you use the less likely a puncture but the heavier the tyre becomes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com