Enve 3.4 vs 6.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enve 3.4 or 6.7

ENVE 3.4
31%
ENVE 6.7
69%

Total votes: 13

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Hey guys, I'm getting a pair of wheels for race day only and I'm wondering if I should get the Enve 3.4 or 6.7 (both tubulars), since I live in Shanghai and the races here are mostly flat. I currently ride a Giant TCR Advanced that my local bike shop built up for me and I really want to get below the 7kg mark with my race day wheels. My dilemma is whether I should get a pair of light wheelset or go with the heavier more aero brother. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrayner4

by jrayner4

I too live in Shanghai and have just got a pair of 6.7 tubulars. They are great the more aero the better for our conditions. I also have profile design 38 clinchers and they are noticeably slower.

PS I am also riding the same bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mimason

by mimason

Are you aware of the ENVE 4.5?

PrettyA

by PrettyA

jrayner4 wrote:I too live in Shanghai and have just got a pair of 6.7 tubulars. They are great the more aero the better for our conditions. I also have profile design 38 clinchers and they are noticeably slower.

PS I am also riding the same bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way, We should totally ride sometimes, I never knew there would be someone in Shanghai that would be on weightweenie. About the 6.7, I'm thinking about getting like the front wheel of a 4.5 and the rear wheel of the 6.7. What do you think?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

mimason wrote:Are you aware of the ENVE 4.5?

This

ergott

by ergott

I have some 4.5s on the way. Can't wait.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Enve 4.5's all the way!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I have a set of all three Enve Smart wheels and I believe the 4.5's are the way to go.

IchDien

by IchDien

BdaGhisallo wrote:I have a set of all three Enve Smart wheels and I believe the 4.5's are the way to go.

Why

ergott

by ergott

I took my 4.5s out on a windy day and there was no unpredictable steering input. They felt incredibly stable. The weight is about the same as 3.4s so they give up nothing there and they are more aerodynamic according to Enve. The newer design also has greater impact resistance. You can see a different carbon layup at the tire bed.

I've had the 6.7s and 8.9s in the past, but not for side by side comparison. The 6.7s were definitely better for all around conditions than the 8.9s and I think the 4.5s are and extension of that. I haven't seen any data suggesting otherwise, but I don't the 4.5s lose out to the deeper rims by more than a few watts. You would have to consider the roads you ride on, but I wanted a rim depth that would be the best tradeoff for anything from my local flat terrain to the steeper climbs nearby.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Ergott beat me to it. Everything he said is spot on. If I had to do it again I might skip the 6.7s altogether in favor of the 4.5s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shaolin

by shaolin

I also live in Shanghai :wink: check www.shanghaicycling.org for info about rides! We have rides in Puxi and Pudong.

I have 3.4, two other guys have 6.7. We are all happy with our choices but now I think I'd go for 4.5 as this is the newest construction, more aero and should be best all rounder here. If you want to climb just go to Moganshan (2-3h by car)