Chris King R45 or R45C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

Building a set of ENVE SES 4.5 wheel. Pretty much narrow down to Chris King R45 hub for its reliability. Need help to advise whether I should go for the ceramic bearing R45C? Is there any cons by doing so? The additional cost is not an issue here.

ergott

by ergott

I'm happy that money isn't an issue for you. Still, the ceramics won't make any appreciable difference in the performance of the wheelset. If spending more and getting nothing but bragging rights floats you boat, go for ceramics. Chris King has been well known for making quality steel bearings long before ceramics came on the scene.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

I've have R45s hubs on my Enve rims and have logged over 30k miles. The "standard" bearings are original and still butter smooth.

jordan00

by jordan00

ive got the standard bearings on one wheelset and ceramics on another, both CK R45's. Cant notice a difference at all, but saying that if money isnt an option, always opt for the best! Unless that money can be put toward something else that will help.. :)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

For those who know CK well, are they the kind of ceramic bearings that you would expect to last a lot more miles than steel bearings? Like without maintenance as I heard years ago when people were praising them?

survivor

by survivor

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:For those who know CK well, are they the kind of ceramic bearings that you would expect to last a lot more miles than steel bearings? Like without maintenance as I heard years ago when people were praising them?

Yes, exactly the feedback that I tried to find out. Beside performance (which most says doesn't make any difference), how about the reliability and long term use? Is ceramic bearing has better reliability and last longer than standard steel bearings?

ergott

by ergott

I can tell you I have built up Chris Hubs that are 10+ years old, countless miles (high 10s of thousands) and I haven't replaced the bearings in them yet. I pulled them for service last year for the first time and flushed them mainly just to use the tool kit I have sitting here. Didn't even really need it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com