HED Belgium sidewall/brake track - really narrow

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tmnutan

by tmnutan

I just built a wheel using a HED Belgium C2 plus/25mm rim. Went together great, but I immediately noticed the profile (height? width?) of the machined sidewall, the "brake track," is narrower than any of my other wheels. With a quick measurement, almost 25% narrower. It's basically the same width as the Shimano Ultegra brake pad. I'm accustomed to Mavic and Fulcrum wheels that have brake tracks wider than the pads.

It took some adjusting to get the pads just right. But if the rim comes out of round at all, the pad will either go up, possibly into the tire (although w/ the tire profile on a 25mm rim, at least the pad won't immediately go into the sidewall of the tire), or it will drop below the brake track, into the sloping, unmachined portion of the rim (and wear off the black anodization = ugly).

Is a narrow brake track a common thing on newer rims? Am I just used to unusually wide ones? Are there particular brake pads that are well suited to narrower rim sidewalls?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Apparently the new Pacenti SL23 v2 rim also has a very narrow brake track. They advise a specific pad to be used based on the size. I've just ordered a set and they are not built yet so I haven't put them up against a stock Ultegra or DA pad.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

tmnutan wrote:Is a narrow brake track a common thing on newer rims? Am I just used to unusually wide ones? Are there particular brake pads that are well suited to narrower rim sidewalls?

Most rims I've seen are ~9mm but the narrowest are ~7.5mm. Yes they are small. Too small IMO.

Koolstop Dura2s are narrower than most and are very good pads. Or you could try to trim the pads you have.
formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The rim wont go out of round. A none issue to me. I have the c2 tubular rims and have had no issue setting pads up with campagnolo pads.