Semi aero wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JamesC

by JamesC

Having taken some advice in a previous thread which was a few Months ago I have decided to get a pair of semi aero wheels (I already have a set of 60's and some training wheels).

I train in hilly areas with short climbs up to 2-3k in length where the gradent is between 3-12% (ave 3-4%).

I am considering handbuilt wheelsmith race 30 wheels.

Has anyone got any other recommendations? In the £450 price range and 1500g range?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

On those average gradients shallow or light wheels won't make a lick of difference. I did Mt. Lemmon much faster on Reynolds Aero 72's than Reynolds Attacks.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

in the uk aero wins everytime over shallower lighter wheels. My own 50mm deep wheels are 1650g and with the same hubs (not light ones) wheelsmiths race 30 rim would give a wheelset with the same weight so same weight but less aero. Wheres the win in that.

Our hills are simply not lomg enough or steep enough for what you want tk buy to make any difference.

JamesC

by JamesC

Thanks for the replys,

Bm0p700f my 60's weigh in at 1810g. I understand what you are saying and agree. I have a few hilly centrys planned on in snowdonia with 2200m of climbing would you suggest I use 60's as there is also a lot of desents?

sawyer

by sawyer

Disagree with the deep wheels for UK point on the basis that 30mm something wheels handle better and feel more agile and lively than deeper wheels - if that is something that really helps you enjoy the ride then it doesn't matter than there is a few watts aerodynamic advantage to deeper hoops
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

What about a mixed depth pair, then? 38mm front, 50mm rear?

Grill

by Grill

Snowdonia is easy climbing as it's all long and gradual and the descents are fine. Unless you're riding the Mille Cymru route (20+ 20%+ climbs) or regularly cycle the moors then get whichever depth you want. The handling thing doesn't come into play and comfort is dictated by your tyres an pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

bm0p700f wrote:in the uk aero wins everytime over shallower lighter wheels.

Our hills are simply not long enough or steep enough for what you want to buy to make any difference.

Speaks the guy from the flatlands of Suffolk. If you lived in Yorkshire you'd have a different view :!: