want to buy mavic CCU's - any tips.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I have some CCU's for $1700aud if your interested ;)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

would be very interested (almost still am) but have got a new bike on the way with lightweights on it. available bike funds are negligible. may i ask why you are selling? too many wheels? also what did you think of them and what were you comparing them to?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

davidalone

by davidalone

CCUs are nice. however they are not practical wheels. if you bust a spoke it's a LONG turnaround from your dealer to get the carbon spoke and repair it for you. granted it's rare... but it could happen. Lightweight too.

Just something to think about.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:would be very interested (almost still am) but have got a new bike on the way with lightweights on it. available bike funds are negligible. may i ask why you are selling? too many wheels? also what did you think of them and what were you comparing them to?

I am in the process of writing a review. I will post it on the forum in a couple of weeks. I'm selling to buy some Corima MCC+ in an effort to write a comparative review.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

survivor

by survivor

zappafile123 wrote:I am in the process of writing a review. I will post it on the forum in a couple of weeks. I'm selling to buy some Corima MCC+ in an effort to write a comparative review.

Any news on the review comparing the Mavic CCU and Corima MCC+?

zappafile123

by zappafile123

survivor wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:I am in the process of writing a review. I will post it on the forum in a couple of weeks. I'm selling to buy some Corima MCC+ in an effort to write a comparative review.

I havent managed to sell my Ultimates yet. I am tempted to buy a Basso Diamante frame instead of the Corimas... we'll see what happens.

munkyeongmee

by munkyeongmee

starbike.com
That is most cheap in the world I think

zappafile123

by zappafile123

sawyer wrote:Go for the CCUs!
They have a nicer ride quality than boras due to the carbon spokes

You, my friend, a very wrong. They are stiffer, but they are not nicer riding wheels.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

In my experience, stainless steel spokes provide the nicest ride, carbon spokes the harshest.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

zappafile123

by zappafile123

survivor wrote:

My review of the ultimates has been posted to the main forum. I may have missed out on those Corima's - didnt have enough cash in time. I'm strongly considering some Fulcrum Racing Speed XRL 50s instead

sawyer

by sawyer

zappafile123 wrote:

You, my friend, a very wrong. They are stiffer, but they are not nicer riding wheels.

Hi - enjoyed your review, though disagree on the ride quality point. It is along with the rear stiffness the standout feature of CCUs IMO (and like you I've owned Bora and CCUs and ridden back to back)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

sawyer wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

Hi - enjoyed your review, though disagree on the ride quality point. It is along with the rear stiffness the standout feature of CCUs IMO (and like you I've owned Bora and CCUs and ridden back to back)

I have to admit that I didnt spend long on the Boras and I havent ridden them for... um... 9 months or so. I just remember them being very very smooth and reasonably fast. As I pointed out in the review, part of why they felt so harsh could be associated with both the tires I was using as well as the frame. Generally they do provide a muted smoothish sensation to driving that isnt in your face. You notice how harsh they are when you immediately contrast them to the Heds (which are my other main riding wheelset).

Part of the 'ride quality' is feeling slow at speed. For me thats a deal breaker, and to put it crudely, amounts to 'shitty' performance. This is the second set of Mavics I've owned and Ive been disappointed by both.

kgt

by kgt

It's clear that the choise of the tires used in the test is just... wrong.
My experience with full carbon wheels is that they can ride really smooth.
Last edited by kgt on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

kgt wrote:It's clear that the choisae of the tires used in the test is just... wrong.
My experience with full carbon wheels is that they can ride really smooth.

I worked with what I had - why throw out perfectly good tires? How about just appreciating the effort I went to to provide information that no one else had? Try and find me one critical review of Mavic CCUs. As far as I can tell there isnt one.

kgt

by kgt

Please, don't get me wrong. I absolutely appreciate your effort. I really think posts like yours are the best reviews one can find online. We need more of them actually.

OTOH I have to stress the fact that one cannot judge the performance of a wheelset in terms of comfort using a 21mm tire. No one uses 21mm tires nowadays. Moreover Tufo are arguably among the worst riding tires available. Wooden feeling, no road feedback... again, not a choice to help you make conclusions about the wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com