Campag Zonda/Fulcrum R3 vs Chinese carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Hey guys, I'm getting better wheels for my TCR Advanced 0 and I'm wondering if I should go for alloy wheels like the zonda and the r3 or go for chinese carbon wheels from yoeleo or far sports. Thanks

Geoff

by Geoff

I think you will be happier with Campagnolo hubs long-term...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Geoff wrote:I think you will be happier with Campagnolo hubs long-term...

The hubs that yoeleo and farsport uses are from powerway or novatec, so you're saying campag hubs are better than those hubs?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I'm sure you'll be happy with a set of "asian" as long as you go with reliable hubs (Novatec, BHS from what I read) and reliable build (they're doing a fine job). It's a good opportunity to go for something modern, wide and aero.

I suspect R3 or Zonda won't make a substantial difference to your training wheels like carbon rims would do and you'll end up being disappointed.

stormur

by stormur

PrettyA wrote:
Geoff wrote:I think you will be happier with Campagnolo hubs long-term...

The hubs that yoeleo and farsport uses are from powerway or novatec, so you're saying campag hubs are better than those hubs?

R U serious ????

you try to compare Maserati with VW Polo ( Novatec ) or Lada/ Daewoo ( bitex &co ) …

There's not so many hubs in the world with same quality as Campagnolo do … ( disclaimer : I mean cup&cone hubs, not cartridge mounted in cheapest Campy wheels )
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

phollingswo

by phollingswo

I have a set of Campa Zondas, race and train on them. They are a fantastic all-round wheelset. Okay so they're not the most aero, but they are light, stiff, the hubs are beautiful, they look good, they're bombproof and are great value for money. Easy to fix if things go wrong too.

I've since gone on to buy some Bora One tubulars for racing, but still love riding the zondas. They would get my vote hands down.

carbon337

by carbon337

Are Zondas and shamals cup and cone in the same way as dura ace c24s are? Loose ball type affairs?

stormur

by stormur

Camapgnolo from Zonda up, and Fulcrum from R3 up are cup&cone. Cheapest Bullet's are exception .

Shamal, Eurus, Hyperon, R1, R zero - all are c&c .

Shimano has "loose balls" - campagnolo bearing balls are hold by plastic "housing" ring ( excuse poor eng vocabulary )- way easier to maintain.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd buy Chinese rims that suit your needs/desires and lace them to DA/Campy/DT 240s.

Use appropriate spokes for your budget, appropriate nipples for your riding conditions.

PrettyA

by PrettyA

LeDuke wrote:I'd buy Chinese rims that suit your needs/desires and lace them to DA/Campy/DT 240s.

Use appropriate spokes for your budget, appropriate nipples for your riding conditions.

I was just thinking about that, I'm thinking of lacing them with DT 240s since it has such great reviews
Now it all comes down to going deep section (50,60mm) or going light (24mm)
Any suggestions guys?

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

I narrowed my choice down to the same options as you, couple of months ago. In the end I plumped for the zondas - if I was going to buy Chinese carbons I decided I'd only have tubs, I didn't want to deal with any QC issues or returns (I live in NZ and overseas postage is hideous), and by the time you've got the rims built onto a semi-decent hub the price is going to be more or less double what wiggle knock a pair of zondas out for. Next year, if the purchasing committee allows...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

You wont regret zonda. The hub rolls like butter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk