Strong, Light & Cheap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yorkshire22

by Yorkshire22

I found some wheels which seem to be strong, light and cheap, and asked in another topic if anyone is familiar with them, as I can't find any reviews on them. By Light I mean around 1400g or less, strong they have a sensible number of spokes at 24/28, and I believe they are CX-ray from a spec I read, but they are definitely Sapim and under £300.

Can anyone recommend any similar wheels, or build spec for customs? I'm not sure I want to buy the Airstreeem AL20, without reading any reviews, tests or experiences from owners.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ryde pluse sprint rims as theh are wide light and stiff for the weight. Use sapim laser spokes and alloy nipples and nivatec hubs to get that weight. I doubt you will find a commercial wheelbuilder who will do it for less than £300 that is if the wheel builder plans to eat and put a roof over there heads. Beware the novatec hubs are dry weather hubs But otherwise it is a decent build.

stormur

by stormur

Double budget and it'll doable.

Add 200g and will be possible for the budget

There's no "free lunch", nor unknown miracles ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

davidalone

by davidalone

get a set of custom made Kinlin XR 200, on novatec hubs with the 24/28 spoke count you want. it won't hit ALL your requirements, but it will get close. ( slightly over 1400, possibly). definitely doable for 300 pounds if you shop around. there will be stronger wheels out there, but if built properly it will probably be decent enough for most people, unless you are porky.

Yorkshire22

by Yorkshire22

davidalone wrote:get a set of custom made Kinlin XR 200, on novatec hubs with the 24/28 spoke count you want. it won't hit ALL your requirements, but it will get close. ( slightly over 1400, possibly). definitely doable for 300 pounds if you shop around. there will be stronger wheels out there, but if built properly it will probably be decent enough for most people, unless you are porky.

Thanks for the replies so far,

I'm still pondering over wheels. I weigh just under 70kg, or 154lbs, so shouldn't need to strong a wheel?

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

I'm 90kg and on 16F and 21R spokes alu rims 1450g for wheelset ( Eurus ) on road, & Eurus 2wayFit ( 1480g ) in cyclocross. No issues whatsoever. Had 20-24 CF 46mm - same, Zonda ( 16-21 ) - same…

Components choice & wheelbuilding skills ( if u go custom ) are crucial. Or cheap, or good. No mercy. If you'll pay for kinlin, you will get kinlin, not HED.. Same for hubs and building work.

IMO 20-24 is enough for given weight. With your budget I would go ready wheelset- will be hard to build anything on same level as ready.

Zonda/ Fulcrum 3 , Vision NEW Trimax T30 ( new is wider ) are good choices. Used Eurus is nice choice as well.

Custom have sense, but rather not for money which you are eager to spend . 600£ + looks more reasonable.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)