New Pacenti SL23 - 408-417g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sbh1973

by sbh1973

I don't post very often here, but we just received a few hundred of the new Pacenti SL23 and threw a couple on the scale. I thought it was Weight Weenies worthy.

18h: 416g
32h: 408.5g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is the spoke nipple bed thicker. Making the rim lighter may make it less useful as where has the weight loss come from. If its the brake track then it will nomlonger be an all weather rim. If the spoke nipple bed is not thicker but thinner then this would be a potential problem looking forward to getting them though but i really need a cross section of both rims to see.

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

According to the Pacenti website the spoke bed is thicker and the internal width is wider by about 2 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thp

by thp

Wish these were out a few months ago, wouldn't been a nice lighter alternative to C2/A23.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Word I hear is they have made s pretty average rim a bit more average...
The brake track is now only 8mm wide :roll:

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Interesting! I've never built with the old sl23 but it is pretty popular for an "average" rim.... Seems like they may have gone a bit more bleeding edge a la Stan's this time. I am quite keen on this as life is too short to ride heavy wheels and if they wear out it'll be a good excuse to build some more.
However, I wouldn't build with even second gen Alpha 340s again (had a few well installed tires pop off and they are bendy, hard to true and detension with tubeless beads).
I can see that such worries might be more acute if I was building wheels to sell.

Thanks for posting! (Brandon from bhs?) Do you expect a silver version?

sbh1973

by sbh1973

This is Brandon from BHS.

I don't see silver in the future - just not that popular. If Kirk does a run I might grab a few from his stock, but there's no point in buying them by the hundred. I may do another order of 27h for 2:1 lacing, as those, while not terribly popular, do work very well.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Just received my pair - destickered they weigh 404g (24h centre drill) and 422g (20h alternating drill). Stickers appear to be 3.5g per wheel or so - I removed them for aesthetic reasons.

The rims look and feel beautiful, very sturdy feeling despite the impressive weight. The bead-blasted finish is very attractive. Very pleased with them and keen to build them up.

The other side of the coin is that the brake track is startlingly narrow (vertically) and the wear indicators are very shallow. I am more than happy with the compromise as I am trying to build a light wheelset but they won't find favour with the price/mile crowd, especially if you ride in the hills or wet weather a lot.

Might have to be kept very true +/- finickity brake pad adjustment - can see this as the only downside really.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I have the preious SL23's. i find changing tyres (veloflex corsas, vittoraia cxIII iso grips and conti GP4000s IIs) a night mare. Theyre are just so damn tight...id rather have to rip of a tubular out on the road.

Are these any different in that regard? My rims are only maybe 2000km old but if this new version is easier (more normal!) then i might just buy a pair and rebuild.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

@mr4fox, yeah thats my experience too. Finding the thinnest possible rim tape helped somewhat. New SL24 looks good, if they increased rim bed thickness, intuitively they must have got a lighter alloy to drop so much weight?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

bombertodd

by bombertodd

AlphaDogCycling wrote:According to the Pacenti website the spoke bed is thicker and the internal width is wider by about 2 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what part is thinner? :noidea:

Glad to see the nipple bed thicker. It was kind of weak on the original.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

bombertodd wrote:So what part is thinner? :noidea:

Brake tracks are 7.5mm wide vs 10mm on the old ones.

Bead lip is .9mm vs 1.5mm.

Brake track thickness is less too... looks like ~1.1mm vs 1.5mm, but that is tough to measure without cutting one apart.

BTW, Brandon has some now that are under 400g.
formerly rruff...

Svetty

by Svetty

Must admit that I am disappointed that the brake track is thinner..... :( :(

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Overall the rim still feels very solid indeed for the weight - I just wonder whether it will be tough to keep brake pads perfectly adjusted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

petromyzon wrote:Overall the rim still feels very solid indeed for the weight - I just wonder whether it will be tough to keep brake pads perfectly adjusted.

The pads get wider as they wear, and will end up scraping the anodizing on the rim. If you don't want that to happen, then you will need to do something.

Koolstop Dura2 pads are a good choice in a narrower pad. You may also be able to cut or grind off part of your existing pads.
formerly rruff...