Any suggestions for cheap aero wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tobesyc

by tobesyc

Hi, I'm a longtime reader but only recently joined Weight Weenies. I am doing an Ironman soon and looking for a wheelset to train/race in.

My bike currently has heavy, albeit durable hoops so I am looking for something a little lighter and more aero. The course itself is somewhat hilly so I have to take that into consideration. And I am rather light, around 140 lbs so wondering if crosswinds may be a bigger factor for me?

Do you guys have any suggestions as to a cheap (under $500), somewhat aero and somewhat light wheelset? I saw some pretty inexpensive carbon 38 and 50mm aero wheelsets on Ebay but not sure if they are reputable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

hey,

those cheap asian wheels are (very) fine, for that money you probably won't get anything better, get something modern (23 or 25mm wide, U shape) and if you don't plan to ride in the mountains you can eith go clincher or tubulars without problem

and get some decent hubs that are serviceable if you plan to train on them whatever the weather is (there are good things and bad things among the cheap stuff, check the hubs threads in that section)

crosswinds can be an issue in TT position, if you live in a windy place, might want a front wheel that's not too deep, like 38mm, again take it in wide & U shape for stability AND aero.

there are plenty of options to go 38mm front / 50 mm rear of you want something light and manageable in the wind

if you handle your bike good enough, 50 or 60mm front is not an issue unless it's really windy/gutsy day.

my guess is a lot of riders like you would get a 50/60mm or even 80mm wheelset and additionnal 38mm front wheel for the bad days

Marin

by Marin

Get a 23 or 25mm wide 38mm tall wheelset from Farsports, or maybe even one of the cheaper sellers. I've been running a 1330g set of 23/50mm Farsports clinchers for the past year and couldn't be happier. You do feel crosswinds on the 50s though, but a wider U-Shaped 38mm set should be a lot easiert to handle.