New wheels for my Colnago C60 disc build - suggestions pleas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

Roval CLX 40

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

allenhuish

by allenhuish

ergott wrote:These might fit the bill. Between them and the DT I'd go I9.

http://www.industrynine.net/road-wheels ... ubular%29#

Interesting suggestion. I'm not seeing anyone with stock in the UK, but the non-disc C41s are £1700 - which is £800 more than the DTs.

The Rovals look interesting, but are also £1500.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

stormur wrote:gee… I have to quote myself :

"Show me please, Mavic CLINCHER model wider than 15c"

http://www.mavic.com/wheels-road-triath ... B2C_201504

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

allenhuish wrote:And Reynolds
Assault SLG 41mm deep (blingy!) and very wide

Tubeless ready
Centerlock

Unfortunately 1565g

The website does not say if they have convertible hubs between QR and thru axle.

The 'Attack disc brake' is only a 29mm deep but weighs 1454. However the DT 28mm deep wheelset is 1350 ish.

The main thing that these have over the DTs is a wide rim. It's looking more and more to me that the DTs are the right answer.

I just acquired these wheels (2015 Assault SLG Disc) and am so far pleased. i weighed them at 1585 grams.

You can convert them to Thru Axle but the end caps are sold separately. I weighed them with these caps installed. I think the advertised weight (1565g) was attained without any end caps attached. Of course I could be wrong, it might just be my shoddy scale.

The wheels are solid thus far although I have yet to put them on the dirt. I'm running Hutchinson Sector28s and am going to try dropping the pressures to ~55-60psi to run them on the dirt. My whole aim with this wheelset was to shorten the spokes / stiffen up the bike. With that said I think they could be lighter but compared to what is out there they are priced fairly. I was originally planning on just buying these rims but Reynolds was quick to advise that they weren't going to be selling the rims alone.

-Terry

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Corima 47mm D Tubular. I know they're deeper than you were looking for but you can't get blingyer than the 12k finish. Also, the set weighs only 1360g which is light for a non disc wheel. The only sticking point is its center lock only which means you'll have to use an adaptor if you want a 6 bolt disc but the weight penalty is offset but the overall lightness of the wheels.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Oops didn't spot the no tubs bit but they do clinchers as well.

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

Nice catch, Jengaback. Didn't catch those. The claimed weight is a bit higher than I expected for the clincher centerlock wheelset - 1675 grams. I'm sure they would cost a pretty penny too.

-Terry

allenhuish

by allenhuish

I went for the DT Swiss wheels in the end

RC38 Spline C DB to give them their full name.

I've been a bit disappointed by the real weight of them though.

DT Swiss says the weight should be 1455g

I weighed them at
Front 709g
Rear 821g
Total 1530g

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

How do these wheels rides as I'm looking at buying some. Was your weight with skewers?

allenhuish

by allenhuish

My weight wasn't with skewers. I've been riding them and they ride very well, no problems at all. Pictures etc are up in the gallery.

jeffy

by jeffy

bm0p700f wrote:400g 25mm wide 38mm deep u shaped carbon rims dream on they dont exist

when do you think the carbon disc specific clincher rims availability will expand?

last year there was good progress for alloy with SL25/Aileron and Grail.

Enve 3.4 Disc are ~415g

Reynolds Assault (41mm) Disc claim 438 gram rim and their Attack (29mm rim) are 380 gram

What impact does the rim material have on spoke count? I am riding SL25 28/28 CX Ray and i can notice the stiffness, both climbing and braking (I had previous felt flex on a lower spoke count whilst braking, likely doesn't matter but it was 'nice' to get rid of it)

@ 180lbs would I be right to assume that with a stiff carbon rim a 24/24 CX Ray Build would be as stiff or perhaps even stiffer than SL25 28/28 CX Ray?

just had a quick google while posting, and some carbon notubes hoops are being released.
http://www.notubes.com/Avion-C186.aspx

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i'm inclined to agree. disc means thru axle and the choices are limited. Enve makes the best option.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels