Roval CLX40 Clinchers Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

After 500km, here is my two cents.

What they are.

Light: Very light weighing in at a mere 1400g. I’m running S-Works Turbo 700x24 tires on the front and they back on my 2014 Specialized Roubiax. I do notice a difference on climbs but only a slight difference at first I thought it maybe the “placebo effect” but now after a couple of weeks running the same route I can say for sure I’ve noticed a difference in climb.

Well built: I haven’t been kind to these wheels in 500km miles I’ve run them on dirt roads, gravel roads and biking trails and our wonderful Kansas roads. They’ve remain true and I’m 104kgs which is near the limit of the rider weight according to Specialized. So far they show no wear and tear.

Fun downhill: When you go aero you can really pick up some amazing speed downhill.

Attractive: I’m surprised how few people run carbon wheels. I get this conversation on almost every ride. Nice wheels. What are they? How much? Holy crap… Are they worth it?

What they are not.

A game changer: If you’re going from a stock OEM wheels to Roval CLX40’s you’re going to be blown away. I went from HED Belgium C2 rims on DT Swiss 240 Hubs to the Roval CLX40’s and other than a small difference in climb I didn’t notice a difference.

Cheap: Whether you say $1900 US or 1800 Euro either way they ain’t cheap. Added into the fact I also had over $1000 us or 900 Euro already invested in the HED C2 Wheels and it’s a ton of money wrapped up in wheels.

Fun the wind: If you have 20-30 knot crosswinds these wheels are a handful, gusty winds make it even less fun.

My advice is if you have stock OEM wheels on your bike and you want a carbon wheelset then the Roval CLX40’s are a nice upgrade. If you already have a nice alloy wheelset with good hubs you’re not going to notice enough of a difference to justify spending the money.

Poon
Last edited by Poonjabby on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Clinchers or tubulars?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

Clinchers I'm sorry

Poon

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Ok. I find the CLX40 one of the most appealing wheelset. Nice combo of modern rims at the right depth, proprietary hubs with a nice geometry for 2:1 lacing, DT Swiss internals and Ceramicspeed bearings. 8) Dude 8)

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

I agree they are great wheels. If someone is serious about Zipps, Enve or another brand of carbon wheel I think the Roval's should be in the consideration. My perspective was purely going from HED Belgium C2w DT Swiss 240 hubs to the Roval's. I love the wheels.

Poon

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I had/have a set. They were great, but after 5000 k's the brake track no longer stopped effectively, despite acetone, scourers, new brake etc. This was with the older unidirectional carbon brake tracks, they have since transitioned to a woven scrim on the brake tracks.

Re: handling, they are no problem in a crosswind. I am 70kg.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

yth1691 wrote:good

How much of those lame posts just to boost your message numbers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

One negative I found yesterday and I don't know whether to contribute to the Swiss Stop brake pads or the wheels. Yesterday it rained on me the entire ride of 80km. I had almost no stopping power. At times it was very dicey.

Poon

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Wicked set of wheels, light, a little bit aero and super versatile. I thought they were stiff too. I loved them, made the bike feel great. Big flaw is the braking on them, mine had the unidirectional carbon brake track and they were awful. I think the newer ones are better. Might be worth seeing if Specialized will swap them over. (I no longer have mine, sold with last years bike)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You're going to experience that with more or less every carbon wheel. I flew past the last turn of a ride last year on my Zipps (while holding down my brakes). It took a couple of revolutions for the pads to clear off the water on the rims, then they'll start biting.

Doolop

by Doolop

Just adding on to others positive comments on these wheels...

Have 2000 miles on a set including riding all winter on them here in rainy Washington, US.

Have nothing but good things to say. Braking on my wheels is as good if not better then aluminum (I have the 2nd gen brake track) Wheels are quite stiff for me at 170lbs. Smooth riding wheels when mated with a good quality tire- noticeably smoother then the CLX60s that I tried on the same bike. Hubs are fantastic as to be expected with DT internals.

One downside I can think of- I knocked them out of true a bit in a crash and have been to lazy to remove the tires/tubes/rimstrips to true them since then....

sawyer

by sawyer

Pleased you like them though they do strike me as overprced given some alternatives (not Zipp, which have become overpriced too!)

The profile does look good

Big brand issue with them for non Spesh riders however ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

NJ78

by NJ78

Anyone have experience of comparing CLX40's versus Zipp 303's and Reynolds Assaults ?

That's my current shortlist, but I'll not be able to try before I buy so am keen to get opinions.

Price would be - Zipps $2400, Roval $2100. Reynolds $1600. From three separate shops, all local.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

My wife and I have a set of the 40mm and a set of the 60mm Rovals. They are both great wheels. Very light for carbon clinchers or this depth and WAY less expensive than Zipp, Enve, etc.

I don't think they are are robust as the Enve, by any means. But, they are outstanding overall... a real "sleeper" wheelset that most people overlook.

Other pluses are the excellent DT Swiss 240 rear hub internals. So, free hub swaps are a snap. Also, front and rear ceramic speed bearings. Where else are you going to find that for the price? Ours came with very nice padded wheel bags as well.

Getting ready to pick up a set or two of the 40mm tubular disc wheels for out CX bikes this year.

Very much recommended.

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

I'm going to order my wife an Specialized Amira. I was going to order the SL4 Pro Race because it has the CLX40's on it already now I'm torn because I'm thinking I want her to have the SLX60's so maybe now the SL4 Expert.

Poon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com