My new ENVE 4.5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

piercebrew

by piercebrew

I just ordered my ENVE 4.5 King wheels with Sapm CX-ray, and I assumed that they front would be laced radially, but it isn't. Should I have him relace it? I'm 6'2" and about 180 lbs. Its too bad bc they were going to get picked up and shipped tomorrow, if they can't get relaced by tomorrow I won't be able to have them shipped to me for a month as I won't have any to pick them up from the shop and send them out to me (long story why). Or should I just have them sent to me as is, and it isn't a big deal.

Thanks

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I would keep them as they are if that's how Enve recommend that they are built. Someone posted a link to an article in another thread a while ago about how Enve recommend different lacing patterns based on the hub geometries and how that will affect the behaviour of the wheel in the event of a failure. I can't remember who posted it, but it was an interesting read!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Front wheel cross by 2 even with low spoke counts is superb and works great

You'll get to like it

Honestly I don't like the look of a classic hub laced radially (radial looks better with straightpull)

This sort of thing makes me drooling

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

For aero purposes (if that's what you're concerned with) I think the value of radial spoking is overrated.

kode54

by kode54

my SES 4.5 with CK hubs are radially laced on the front.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

I assumed you ordered a clincher version? Are you using your SES 4.5 with a latex or butyl tube? I used mine with latex tube but just found out from ENVE website that they do not recommend the use of latex tube with their clincher wheels :shock:

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204228845-Use-of-Latex-Tubes-in-ENVE-Clincher-Wheels

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Front wheel cross by 2 even with low spoke counts is superb and works great

You'll get to like it

Honestly I don't like the look of a classic hub laced radially (radial looks better with straightpull)

This sort of thing makes me drooling

What wheels are those???

LionelB

by LionelB

They look like Corimas

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Lionel is right, Corima 73mm laced to Royce hubs by Luxewheelworks

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

If they're well built as is, I wouldn't risk having them rebuilt by someone who isn't up to the task, even if you prefer radial.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

what wrong with 2x, nothing is the answer. ride them love them wear them out.

spookyload

by spookyload

If you wanted radial laced wheels, I would send them back. For the coin you are spending on a great wheel set, get exactly what you want. The Wagon Queen family truckster is not the same as the Super Sport wagon. Just ask Clark Griswold. I guess you have to ask yourself if getting what you want later is better than getting something you didn't pay for now. Yes, x2 isn't the end of the world like others have said, but for $3k wheels, get exactly what you want. If it takes longer to ship, so be it. I would also not let them rebuild the same hubs and rims radially. You are paying for new. Get new, not rebuilt before the first ride wheels. The x2 lacing scored the hub flange. You will see it.

spookyload

by spookyload

survivor wrote:I assumed you ordered a clincher version? Are you using your SES 4.5 with a latex or butyl tube? I used mine with latex tube but just found out from ENVE website that they do not recommend the use of latex tube with their clincher wheels :shock:

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204228845-Use-of-Latex-Tubes-in-ENVE-Clincher-Wheels

That is funny. I just showed their response to a mechanical engineer sitting next to me. He works in the bicycle industry BTW. He said their logic is completely flawed. The reason you use latex tubes is for its suppleness and ability to conform better. In essence, it takes odd shapes better than a butyl tube. That is why rolling resistance is lower with them, and why tubulars use them. Furthermore, the inflexibility of butyl tubes causes stressors in the structure due to the same limitations they mentioned for latex. As to the variable thickness of the tube, he said that latex tubes are 5x as thick as needed to maintain their structural support. A tube as thin as a condom is more than adequate to work in a bike wheel, but not practical to manufacture. They do bulge when inflated outside the wheel, but when incased inside a wheel, hold a conform shape. The thinner parts are no weaker than the thick parts inside of a 23mm bicycle wheel as they are constrained.

He is guessing it is a means of scaring customers into not using latex to prevent warranty claims and litigation. If it was in fact a true limitation, they would forbid them in writing in their warranty, which they don't. Likely a lawyer told them they would have to provide scientific evidence showing their claims if they put out official guidance in a legal warranty. Though not a huge deal in the US, warranty in the EU is very strict and detailed.

survivor

by survivor

I am wondering when ENVE will offer the rest of their SES wheel range with their new carbon hub. That combination is a killer! I love my Chris King hub but the ENVE hub looks really really neat.

ergott

by ergott

For me the jury is still out on the hubs. My initial impression is that they are glorified DT hubs. I like their internals, but that's a lot of cost involved and I don't even think the flange spacing is improved. The ideal would be DT internals with a carbon shell that has flanges optimized at 18mm right and about 38mm left. That would make their wheels laterally stiffer than they are now.

Funny how people are salivating over a hubset simply because they are stupid expensive. No other details. It's a market department's dream.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com