What is best choice wheel for me?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teokim

by teokim

My new bike is canyon aeoroad 2015.
I am considering change my wheel to tubler.

1. bora one 50 dark tubler, 1265g, 1268$
2. Zipp 303 firecrest tubler, 1335g, 1635$
3. Mavic cosmic carbone ultimate, 1185g, 2281$

The reason why I chane wheel is that I have not used tubler.
So I am curious about tubler how it different with clincher.
Which one is best to me?
I will use shuwalbe one tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

you have picked 3 wheelsets that are very similar. Either one would suit you fine.

If you want more specific advice, you need to describe what kind of rider you are, what kind of rides, you'll use them for and so on.

kgt

by kgt

If you can pay for it then Mavic cosmic carbone ultimate (...tubler).

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I hate carrying spare tublers around, and these days the ride on tublers isn't that much better than on good quality clinchers.

davidalone

by davidalone

firstly.... it's TUBULAR not tubler....

Tubular wheels are firstly lighter than clinchers. not by alot, about 2-300 grams in most cases.

Tubular tyres are glued/taped to the rim/ clinchers use a rim bead. you can google the difference. this makes carrying around spares for tubulars more difficult and tubulars are also more expensive and less user friendly to replace- if you need to re-glue a tubular, it will take you between 1-3 days to glue, less if you use tape (15 mins to half an hour) . changing a tyre on a clincher takes 5 minutes.

Tubulars can generally run higher pressures than clincher tyres, and are more resistant to pinch flats than clinchers. overall all things being equal you will flat less on a tubular than a clincher. You can also run tubulars at lower pressures than clinchers safely. In the event of a flat, you can ride a tubular somewhat safely. ( but doesn't mean you should ride on a flat tubular.) if you flat on a clincher, you generally will have a hard time controlling the bike.

The best tubulars use latex tubes, which are superior in terms of rolling resistance ( i.e. they roll faster) to normal butyl tubes people use in clinchers. the schwalbe one uses latex. of course, you can use latex tubes in a clincher as well. BUT mordern clinchers have superior rollling resistance to tubulars unless the tubular is glued very very well. this difference, however, is quite small.

If you live in a mountainous area, and do not have good braking/descending technique, a tubular is better. carbon clinchers have the inherent problem of overheating brake tracks and subsequent failure. it has improved, but the problem is still there. this problem is not as bad as on tubulars.

and BEST is relative. all those wheels have pros and cons. you will have to decide what is 'BEST" yourself.

Bora one- best value for money. very well balanced wheel ( does everything decently- a jack of all trades). very good hubs and sturdy construction.
zipp- probably the most aero. rims are good quality. hubs can be better.
mavic- very stiff and well made. good balance. repair and truing is difficult as needs custom spokes and a custom tool.

dzmlyk

by dzmlyk

Geez davidalone ... give him a break. English is obviously not his native language. This forum will not grow if we flame people for minor errors. You knew exactly what was meant.

As far as the wheels, go with the Boras. Best hubs hands down.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

At that price, the Boras are unbeatable.

Mega29

by Mega29

Depending on the type of terrain as you ride

Mavic is balanced wheel, but it will be difficult to manage
Bora one 50 is good for flat road, not so good at up and down hill ride
Zipp is fine but has a problem like Bora's

If you are good at hand, it is easy answer.
Pick CCU

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

teokim wrote:So I am curious about tubler how it different with clincher.

If you are not familiar with the difference between a clincher and tubular, I'd advise against a tubular. For daily riding they are not common because mounting the tire (with glue) and fixing a flat (remove tire, take the casing apart, and stitch it back together) are more involved.
formerly rruff...

davidalone

by davidalone

dzmlyk wrote:Geez davidalone ... give him a break. English is obviously not his native language. This forum will not grow if we flame people for minor errors. You knew exactly what was meant.

As far as the wheels, go with the Boras. Best hubs hands down.

one should seek to improve oneself everyday, no?

Geoff

by Geoff

Of the proposed wheelsets, I have to say, there is a significant difference in the quality of the hubsets. The Campagnolo hubs, with their angular contact bearings, should really last you a long time. The fact that you can adjust the hubs (in my opinion) is what sets the Campagnolo wheels apart.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

And a significant difference in price, not so much in performance. I would dare to wager the bora's are the most durable wheels of these. So, the Bora One for me.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I carry a spare tub when i am out on tubulars. It is pre glued. When i puncture i simply whop the old one off and mount the new and ride. The bond is very good due to the glue left on the rim and glue on the spare b allowing me to ride with confidence. The bond can be very good in fact so good i dont have to remedy this at home by regluing but it is worth checking.

Riding with tubs is not a hassle it just costs more. The ride on tubs is better than any clincher. Tubulars are practical everyday shame i have so many clincher wheelset to wear out.

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

It depends on your bike's color, but I think CCU is the best wheel in your list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Boras FtW