Suggestions on budget durable rims!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

cheapest to buy some new khamsins, which go around 120 eur and weigh cca. 1794-1810 grams.

Or, Sun Ringlé Assault rims are actually pretty cheap, if you can source them. :welcome:

Ambrosio and Weinmann has some nice cheap rims too, as well as Mavic Open sport.

Choice is yours, I'd buy a prae-built one as that is cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks. I ordered a pair of Mavic A119, they are the cheapest at 22 euro. Ambrosio come close and one of the models is also 22 euros.

I'm aware of some prebuild wheels come at 120 euros, but when they are worn out, you need to invest additional 120 euros, to get back on your bike. With a homebuild wheelset with Mavics, I'd only have to invest in a new set of rims at 22 euros each.

FWB isn't really an option for me, since I'm in europe, and the import duties and shipping will be to much in total.

mattr

by mattr

I have a similar plan, slowly moving away from factory builds, with funky spokes and odd lacing patterns. And parts you can't get!
The rebuildability of "proper" wheels is worth the slight penalty to me.
Especially as wheels are pretty easy to build!

Multebear

by Multebear

Interesting project. Planning something similar.

I guess Miche Primato hubs and Mavic A119 would be a good choice with a 32/32 spoke configuration. Which spokes would be good and durable, if I want to stay on budget?

I'm looking at the DT Swiss options DT Swiss Champion, Revolution or Competition? Can't figure out the difference except a little bit of weight and the pricetag??

F45

by F45

I would just buy two fronts and two rears of whatever rim is on sale. Pandora wheels has Sapim spokes for 75 cents. I use Race and Laser for my budget builds. I use CNspoke 424s for bladed spokes since they're half the price of cxrays and work just fine.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Use some older Mavic CXP 10/12... after 3kkm, mine show NO WEAR, very tough
invest in some soft brake pads and clean them often, this will prolong rim life

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The new ryde dp18 is the cheap training rim i am looking forward too as it wide and quite deep. Shame it is not available yet.

Look out for the kinlin xc22t. Here that is around 40 quid but not sure how cheap some of the online retailer will go.

The dt r460 should be pretty cheap but avilability seems to be an issue.

If you want a wide and really heavy touring rim that is cheap the the ryde sputnik is the rim. These make riding hard work.

Multebear

by Multebear

I think OP found Mavic A119 at 21 €. Are those you mention better priced?

Slagter

by Slagter

The build is done, and I have done 300 kms (186 miles) on the wheels now and am very satisfied.

I used Miche Primato Syntesi hubs 32/32 config. Mavic A119 rims, and the cheapest DT Swiss spokes, I could find.

I paid 180 € (196 $) for all of it.

The wheels were very easy to build, they ride well, and they brake very well. I have only ridden them in Italy in the mountains. And I have no complaints regarding braking on longer descents.

I ride them with cheap 25 mm continental super sport tires and use flat stop liner.

Cheap, durable, heavy and very flat resistant = perfect for training.

smokva

by smokva

I had similar dilema as original poster and in the end built my self 3 sets of wheels:
1) DtSwiss R460 pn Record hubbs
2) Ambrosio FCS 30 on Chorus hubs
3) Jalco GX 460 on Veloce hubs

R460 are beautiful wide rims and i like riding them the best, and they give tubeless option that i havent tried yet. Price wad arround 30 € per rim....perfect!
Abrosio FCS 30 is similar to Rigida DP 18, 30mm high and very robust, i think these are going to be bulletproof for many years to come. Price 30€ per rim.
Jalco, I got just to see how they are, I couldnt resist when i saw them in my local schop for the prece of 20€. They look robust and I think they are going to become my winterwheels.

Slagter

by Slagter

Good tips, smokva. Especially about the DT 460 at 30 euros. They still build a very affordable wheelset.

Slagter

by Slagter

Slagter wrote:The build is done, and I have done 300 kms (186 miles) on the wheels now and am very satisfied.

I used Miche Primato Syntesi hubs 32/32 config. Mavic A119 rims, and the cheapest DT Swiss spokes, I could find.

I paid 180 € (196 $) for all of it.

The wheels were very easy to build, they ride well, and they brake very well. I have only ridden them in Italy in the mountains. And I have no complaints regarding braking on longer descents.

I ride them with cheap 25 mm continental super sport tires and use flat stop liner.

Cheap, durable, heavy and very flat resistant = perfect for training.

So, here we are. A year has passed, and I've just passed the 5.000 km mark on the wheels. I've done all my winter kms on the wheels, and some spring and summer kms as well. I've done a lot of breaking just to make sure, that the rims got some wear.

It's hard to even see any wear on the brake track. These rims have the best braking I've ever tried on both alloy and carbon rims, and it seems, they'll last forever. They were the cheapest of all the options mentioned in this topic, and they are definitely also durable.

In comparison I actually build a DT R460 wheelset as well. They've done around 3.500 km during the last year - mostly fall, spring and summer kms. And the rims show a significant amount of wear. They still have at least 5.000 km left in them. But I don't expect them to have a lifespan of even half as many kms as the Mavic A119s.

Truth be told, the Mavics are heavy and slow wheels. Speeds above 40 km/h are hard to achieve. But they are perfect for all weather training.