Suggestions on budget durable rims!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slagter

by Slagter

I'd like to hear some suggestions on budget rims. Performance is completely irrelevant since these are going to be mile munchers for training. I was considering buying a pair of Shimano RS11 wheels. But since I build my own wheels, it's somehow beneath me, to buy a factory build wheelset. The shimanos are still cheap though, and I was wondering if its possible to build a wheelsset with rims at less than 25 euros a rim or maybe even cheaper if possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

At that price, Kinlin comes to mind.

Louis :)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

As you are in Europe: Rigida/Ryde DP18. Strong - cheap - heavy.

stormur

by stormur

you can't build cheaper than Fulcrum Racing 7… around 120€ , easy to replace & cheap aftermarket bearings, regular spokes… ( just in case, i never seen broken spoke on R7 ) unbeatable value for the £$€ .

DT rims are cheap - older 500g-ish models , 20-25€ each. Usually 32 h only, happened to be 28 too.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

davidalone

by davidalone

kinlin, while generally solid adn great value , use a rather soft alloy so if you're somewhere with lots of braking you may wear through brake tracks fast. DT rims are better in this regard.

mattr

by mattr

Never thought I'd see that written down. DT rims more durable than anything!
My only set of rim brake DTs lasted weeks instead of months (on the MTB) before the front went. The rear looked like I'd taken a hammer to the brake track...... Had to straighten it probably every other ride.

An expensive experiment.

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks guys. If you could provide me with some links to where you find them for less than 25 €, that would be great. I haven't found Kinlin rims cheaper than 45 €, and DT at around 30 €. I found Rigida DP 18 at 25 £.

I found Mavic A119 at 21 € here:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... duct=24872

I do around 350-450 km a week, so there's a lot of wear. This project will be to buy a couple of rims and stock them, to have them ready whenever the current ones are worn.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

many of my friends who ride lots just buy a new set of Racing 7s or Aksiums each winter and junk them come spring. Seems a shame to me but the truth is it is pretty tough to make it cost and time effective to rebuild. Let us know how you get on.

I've not tried them myself but my choice would be the wide DT 460, ~30EURO from Starbike (not all sizes in stock)
http://www.starbike.com/en/dt-swiss-r-460/

Slagter

by Slagter

@ petromyzon

That's what I have done so far. And I agree, it is a shame. It's around 120 € for trainingrims/wheels each winter. If I could reduce that to 50 € or less, that would be preferable. I don't mind replacing the rims once in a while.

Thanks for the link. The DTs will come into consideration.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rigida Chrina is very cheap heavy narrow shallow and not stiff, quite horrible really. The brake track is very think and take forever to wear out. Maybe 15 euro.

LouisN

by LouisN

Slagter wrote:Thanks guys. If you could provide me with some links to where you find them for less than 25 €, that would be great. I haven't found Kinlin rims cheaper than 45 €, and DT at around 30 €. I found Rigida DP 18 at 25 £.

I found Mavic A119 at 21 € here:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... duct=24872

I do around 350-450 km a week, so there's a lot of wear. This project will be to buy a couple of rims and stock them, to have them ready whenever the current ones are worn.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Rims-/177821/i. ... nkw=kinlin

It's not the riding that wears a rim, it's the braking. I have kinlin XR270 thaT are 8yrs old and more than 20 000 km. They're still good for another 4-5 yrs.

Louis :)

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks bm0p700f and Louis. The Rigida are around 17 GBP and the Kinlin are around 30 €, I think I'm gonna stick to the Mavics - maybe the DT Swiss ones if I decide to go crazy ;-)

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

Given the conversion rate right now from euros to dollars. 25 euros is $26.00. I'm not familiar with a rim that inexpensive.

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Kinlin xr 19w is on sale at fwb right now.