H Plus Son Archetype wear before replacement?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Any idea how much wear to the brake track can an Archetype rim take before needing replacing?
Mine have a nice concave surface with about 1mm wear after 6000km or so.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I wondered this about a set I had. The wear markers were still clear as day but the tracks were concave like yours.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

what brake pads were used?
what tire and how much air pressure was in?

a lot of folks just ride with their old brake pads
For longer life and better braking helps if you clean brake surface with SwissStop rim cleaner rubber

iamalex

by iamalex

No wear markers on these rims and would rather not ride them until failure. I've fired an email to H Plus Son for some guidance.

I ride Open Pave 24mm at 80psi year round. Wheels are about 1year old and have been ridden through everything the winter had to throw at them. Only use swiss stop pads (black, green, blue) and rims+pads(+bike) cleaned every week or straight after a messy ride. Will have a look at the Swiss Stop rim cleaner, hadn't heard of that before.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I've just checked mine, at least twice mileage than yours and the gap is about 0.15mm. But where I mostly ride there are just hills with the 250m highest point you can climb on, so no much braking involved. I've been on swissstops only, currently blue ones, previously green pads.
Let us know what they say about it.

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for checking yours, appreciate that. I guess we're riding the same hills too, Surrey/Kent - Perhaps I'm too cautious a descender! Will post an update when I hear back. Hope you made it out in the spring weather today.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I'm surprised/disappointed they have that much wear after only 6000km I'd expect much more out of a rim.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Some "extra" stuff on your pads, small rim's aluminium pieces, tiny stones, general grinding dirt, if not cleaned, removed, can increas the wear.
The weather and ride were epic today, indeed ;)

mattr

by mattr

6000km?
That'd be about what I'd get out of an all weather commute/training wheel. (I'd expect three times that out of a race wheel)

1415chris

by 1415chris

By curiosity, I pulled out the data from GC, my front Archetype, the first gen. 450g, the rear one was replaced after the accident, but the front takes the majority of braking anyway has done so far 15k km.

iamalex

by iamalex

I've about 0.5mm wear on the front rim. Never really had matching brake pads F&R so difficult to tell exactly how pads vs braking bias has effected things.

I have a commuter hack bike but otherwise these wheels are my only set and on which I do most of my riding. Including bridleway and restricted byway detours when they look interesting. Will be looking more closely at brake pad choice next time.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

iamalex wrote:No wear markers on these rims

My HPSs had wear dots around the brake track. I ran them for roughly 2 years of daily commuting and training. Mostly Kool Stop Salmon pads with mini v-brakes. Last 6 months were using SwissStop Blue.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Marin

by Marin

Measure the remaining wall thickness with calipers and 2 small shim blocks. If 1mm or less wall left -> wheel building time.

24mm tires @ 80 psi is very reasonable and won't bend the wall early.

ayrej2

by ayrej2

I can't comment on the Archetypes, and not that I reccomend this (I don't, it was pretty stupid) but I used my Dura Ace C24's until the front wore all the way through (at least 25K km's over three years - one wheel for commuting, training and racing). The brake track was very concave!

Eventually it developed a 15mm hair line crack along the brake track which I noticed when the brakes started grabbing - I then had to ride another 75km home (rear wheel braking only!) without any significant dramas.

I used these wheel every day through winter in bad weather, so I'm suprised the Archetypes have gone so quickly, especially compared to the C24's which everyone says have tissue thin brake tracks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

1st thing I notice when the walls get too thin is that the brakes start dragging when I pump up the tires too much. I braked through 3 rims so far, but I'm not planning on doing it again :)

BTW, my Farsports carbon rims have absolutely zero brake track wear after 5000km, but then I don't commute on them. I'm switching over to carbon on all my wheels, so after the A23s are gone that will have been it for alu brake tracks for me.