Aivee hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Not much info on those french hubs. They seem pretty new on the market.
I asked a french cycling reporter (from a well known cycling journal) former pro rider about them, and he never heard of the brand... :?

http://www.aivee.fr/

I wonder if anyone here (besides Dowks ;) ) that has done a few thousand KM's on them ?

Guess It's a little early to jump on a set of hubs right now without knowing their durability or reliability...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Not bad prices for the weight :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Very short centre of flange to centre of flange spacing for the rear hub. Even shorter than the dt swiss hubs by 1 mm. This means wheel stiffness is comprimised. Light weight hubs with tiny bearings.

One the face of it they seem alright as race day hubs but you want your race wheels to be extremly too right. With these hubs that bit cannot happen. I still think the best all round light weight hub is the white industries t11. It has a good geometry and two 6902 bearings in the rear shell. Also a stiff steel axle which will flex less so that further improves bearing life.

The aivee hub looks much like a novatec f482 sb sl hub and probably as reliable but without the favourable geometry the novatec hub has. So really what is the point.

I know i am making judgements on somehting inhave not tried but the geometry puts me right of.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antprok

by antprok

I am about to build some carbon rims on the SR1 aivee hubs, will tell you soon... My wheel builder said they are fantastic and can easily compare them to dt swiss hubs. Not sure about that but for the price im willing to check...

antprok

by antprok

OK Im now sure, these hubs are amasing!!!!!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Fairwheel bikes offers these hubs, so they might have some insight.

bahn

by bahn

I have a couple of pairs of SR5 hubs and really like them. Agreed probably best in fair weather but that's okay. Laced to a set of 34mm carbon rims and a set of ENVE 6.7s.

The have a loud freehub and look smart in red.

I recently had a front hub flange fail (sheared across a couple of spoke holes - This hub was about 20 months old and replaced under warranty. Aivee has since thickened the flange and that I can see in the latest hubs. I am happy to put some faith in the revised models.

in fact I plan to build a set of wheels with these hubs in black with Pacenti SL23 for my girlfriend. Latest hubs weighed in about 310g. Looking forward to getting these finished once I get the parts.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

310g is DT Swiss 240 hub weight and only a bit lighter than the excellent WI T11.

That is the problem with them. why use them over the T11's struggling to see why.

kavitator

by kavitator

Good hubs quality made -
SR1 is very durable
Edition1 has DS flange 18mm from center

antprok

by antprok

After 400 km the hubs get smoother. I built them with Chinese Wide U 27mm, 40mm. My rear wheel was built in 2x lacing and its lovely in matter of lateral stiffness, I think I made a great all around wheelset for my needs

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

bm0p700f wrote:310g is DT Swiss 240 hub weight and only a bit lighter than the excellent WI T11.

That is the problem with them. why use them over the T11's struggling to see why.

They cost quite a bit less than DT Swiss 240

antprok

by antprok

At 2000 km now and the hubs are really good for the money.

UberClyde

by UberClyde

I have the SR2 hubs laced to Kinlin rims from Fairwheel bikes, 28 spokes in the back and 24 in front. So far I have 1,400 miles on them including 2 months of wet, miserable conditions with road salt. I took the rear hub apart for regular maintenance and not one speck of grime or moisture had worked its way into the mechanisms. I was surprised however at the amount of gouging on the freehub body splines, from the cassette. I know this is normal wear and tear for aluminum freehubs but what I saw was considerable worse than what I have experienced with other hubs. It may be due to the fact that I am doing a lot of steep hill training, I am not sure. Getting a replacement freehub body is proving a pain in the butt.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I never seen so much clearance between the freehub and the dropout, am I missing something? Either the drive side has no bracing angle whatsoever or the freehub is not for 10-11 speed...

kavitator

by kavitator

looks like endcup goes down from axle a little when he took picture.
Freehub is 11 sp - but cassette is 10 speed - adapter is still on freehub

I dont see problem with bites in aluminium - just tight cassette harder!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com