New Wheelset for Cervelo R3?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rhyshan

by rhyshan

eric wrote:I'll second the recommendation for custom wheels with aluminium rims.
Carbon rims should not go on everyday wheels in my opinion. They're expensive and braking is not as good, especially in the wet.

Thanks for your 2nd recommendation eric.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

I would go with hand built wheels, You could build a set super light and very cheaply compared to pre manufactured wheels. Also very easy to service and repair.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

rhyshan

by rhyshan

kgibbo1868 wrote:I would go for the ax-lightness option. I have this wheel set with the tune hubs and am very happy with it. I actually have the 2014 r3 as well and really like the combination. There is no reason to be afraid of learning how to use tubular tyres. It can be very easy if you use tofu 2 sided tape instead of glue. Also, to avoid being stranded on the road I like to take some liquid tyre sealant and a boulle of cartridges of compressed air, that can fix most flats. For a big cut that can't be fixed I have my phone to call a taxi of someone for a lift home.

To learn how to glue tubs is not that hard either, it just takes some patience and practice. There is soooo much good info here on WW that you can become quit proficient after a few tyre changes.

I should say that my ax-lightness wheels are not for everyday riding, but I do think they are up to the job for someone of your weight. I can also tell you the breaking performance on them is very good. I use Swiss Stop Yellow pads and the difference between them and my aluminium wheels is very marginal! :beerchug:

Swiss Stop Yellow pads, got it. Actually I'm most interested in AX now..!
Now let me find a difference between tune & Extralite. 8)

rhyshan

by rhyshan

xena wrote:I would go with hand built wheels, You could build a set super light and very cheaply compared to pre manufactured wheels. Also very easy to service and repair.

Really? I'm newbie here.
Is this link, is the service you are saying?

http://www.starbike.com/en/starbike.com ... g-service/

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Here is my R3 with the AX wheels and tune Mig 45 / Mag 150 hubs after the stickers were removed.

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

rhyshan

by rhyshan

kgibbo1868 wrote:Here is my R3 with the AX wheels and tune Mig 45 / Mag 150 hubs after the stickers were removed.

OMG
Thanks for your picture. Thanks!
That was what I imagined. What will it be like with low rims.

cafegeek

by cafegeek

If you don't consider your money, just take enve.
Price don't cheat the performance..