How to change bearings DTswiss240s (Front hub)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

random101

by random101

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to change bearings on a straight pull DTswiss240s front hub?

Can it be done with out DtSwiss specific bearing pull tools?

I have opened her up (taken the dust covers off) and it seems like there are 3 parts, but no way to pull the bearings, is it a matter or pulling them out of pushing them through I have no idea.?

Also does anyone know if I can use these 6803 bearings? I'm not sure what the difference is between them, or can someone recommend a decent set?

http://www.skf.com/au/system/SearchResu ... earch=6803

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Have not seen one of these hubs, but if it's the case that you have dismantled the hub and are left with the axle sticking out each end it means that the axle has shoulders which are simply being held in place by each of the cartridge bearings. A gentle strike with a soft hammer on one end of the axle should dislodge one of the bearings, and then you just put the axle back in and strike again to remove the other bearing.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The 240 front axle does have shoulders.

Here's a link that will get you to the service manual.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Hubs-Road/240s

random101

by random101

hmmm the service manual isn't all too helpful...

there is no 'shoulder' between the axial and the bearings, anyhow I have a socket which fits around the 17mm axial to try and tap out though it wont move...

stormur

by stormur

youtube is your friend ;) DT published plenty of videos with detailed instructions.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The shoulders on the axle are inside the hub shell - you cannot see them.

Front hub bearings tend not to wear out. Perhaps they are slightly mis-aligned. try a gentle tap with a socket over the end of the axle - both sides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

random101

by random101

^ Val

I wish I read that a bit earlier... I did check each bearing on it's own and it appeared one had a rough spot.

When I put the new bearings in I had a similar thing were it felt a little 'tick' in one part of the wheel might need to change the caps? I tried my other dt240s they are smooth as silk!

The dodgy hub is on my training wheels so i'll leave it as a mechanics lesson learnt haha

Btw, if anyone is planning to do this... I used an old skewer and a washer and an old bearing to press the knew ones in place :) works a treat!