Velocite filament wound rims

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
justaute
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm
Location: UT/TX/PA, USA

by justaute

Victor,

Let me digress a bit from the 507 rims. Anything in the works for the gravel/cx, tubeless crowd? I know the Rev 35 has pretty good specs (19 int/27 ext), but am curious if anything is in the works for something wider and tubeless (e.g. +21 int/+27 ext)? I guess similar spec to your 507, but more of Rev 35 height and good bead-lock for PSI/burp and flat-safety.

Somewhat similar to the specs below.

Thanks.

Image

dtwolfen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

by dtwolfen

I have tried to use venn-cycling website but not getting any response back. How does one get information from them and how does one order a rim? Has anyone actually gotten rims from them and did they notice the special drilling helped build the wheel up? How close to claimed weights did the rims get? This seems like a great idea and I would like to follow up some more with them more.

by Weenie


jeanjacques
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:01 am
Location: France

by jeanjacques

dtwolfen wrote:I have tried to use venn-cycling website but not getting any response back. How does one get information from them and how does one order a rim? Has anyone actually gotten rims from them and did they notice the special drilling helped build the wheel up? How close to claimed weights did the rims get? This seems like a great idea and I would like to follow up some more with them more.


+1

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

jeanjacques wrote:
dtwolfen wrote:I have tried to use venn-cycling website but not getting any response back. How does one get information from them and how does one order a rim? Has anyone actually gotten rims from them and did they notice the special drilling helped build the wheel up? How close to claimed weights did the rims get? This seems like a great idea and I would like to follow up some more with them more.


+1


Have you tried to send email directly to Victor? victor.major@velocite-bikes.com
Customer service: service@velocite-bikes.com
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dtwolfen
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

by dtwolfen

Thought I would follow up this thread with some news, I got the rims, they look great with the weave. The rims say max spoke tension of 1300 so no problems with this if true. The erd is a little short on the website I measure 572 but close. The weight is 401.4 for the front and 407.8 for rear according to my lttle kitchen scale. They are 24 hole single sided drilling. It will take me awhile to build up as I have plenty of other things going on but will post a little but when I get them done.

NiFTY
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 pm

by NiFTY

dtwolfen wrote:Thought I would follow up this thread with some news, I got the rims, they look great with the weave. The rims say max spoke tension of 1300 so no problems with this if true. The erd is a little short on the website I measure 572 but close. The weight is 401.4 for the front and 407.8 for rear according to my lttle kitchen scale. They are 24 hole single sided drilling. It will take me awhile to build up as I have plenty of other things going on but will post a little but when I get them done.


How much did you get them for?
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

romalor
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm

by romalor

tubular right ?

1415chris
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

Rather tubeless, tape and mounted valves.

Sorry, assumed that shown photo in tapatalk refers to the wheels in question.

andigo93
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 am

by andigo93

Hi there, I have been a reader of this thread. I have built a number of Venn rims from Velocite.
The rims are very well engineered and has improved since they came out.
For the 507 REV, you will be surprise that the spoke tensions remain rather intact even after inflating your tyres u to 100+ psi.

Cheers
Andy

romalor
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm

by romalor

Well that's good to know
Even with tubeless tires ?
That's one of the issue with tubeless tires
Drop in tension

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

andigo93 wrote:Hi there, I have been a reader of this thread. I have built a number of Venn rims from Velocite.
The rims are very well engineered and has improved since they came out.
For the 507 REV, you will be surprise that the spoke tensions remain rather intact even after inflating your tyres u to 100+ psi.

Cheers
Andy


May I ask what tire do you plan to use and you run it up to 100 psi? Skinny tires on narrow wheels is the thing of the past. Modern setup should not exceed 90 psi.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

andigo93
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 am

by andigo93

romalor wrote:Well that's good to know
Even with tubeless tires ?
That's one of the issue with tubeless tires
Drop in tension


I haven't measured with tubeless tyres , it's picking up but not very popular in my country at the moment.

andigo93
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 am

by andigo93

mpulsiv wrote:
andigo93 wrote:Hi there, I have been a reader of this thread. I have built a number of Venn rims from Velocite.
The rims are very well engineered and has improved since they came out.
For the 507 REV, you will be surprise that the spoke tensions remain rather intact even after inflating your tyres u to 100+ psi.

Cheers
Andy


May I ask what tire do you plan to use and you run it up to 100 psi? Skinny tires on narrow wheels is the thing of the past. Modern setup should not exceed 90 psi.


For clinchers,
I recommend a 23c for most tyres like continental gp4000s, Vittoria's, Schwalbe pro one tubeless. They are labelled 23c but expand to 25mm with inflation due to the rims huge internal width.

If you were to use 25c tyres you will get s 28mm after pumping up.

For some clinchers like Veloflex, they are quite skinny. So I would use a 25c for a 25mm.

romalor
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm

by romalor

Hey Victor

Any updates on the progress to get the 507 rim in filament wound disc brake lighter ?
It would be awesome if you could get them at 440 gr like planned

regards

by Weenie


User avatar
vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Beringen, Belgium
Contact:

by vmajor

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates... been busy. So here are the news:

We have a new Facebook page here where you can see the 2018 range of rims and wheels: Venn Facebook page
We also finally improved availability of wheels and some rims in the EU. For those of you in Belgium or the Netherlands here is a list of retailers: Where to buy

And finally for EU riders outside of Belgium and the Netherlands we finally (almost) have a sales channel. Here is our direct sales shop: Venn Cycling online shop

The shop is still under testing so until it is done there is a discount and a free shipping offer as inevitably something will go wrong, so I am trying to buy your patience with a discount...

In not immediately useful news, we have a 76mm rim profile design ready. We developed the profile by using an artificial intelligence optimisation loop, within constraints. When we let it loose the optimal width of the rim with a 25mm tire and 76mm depth was 45mm which was not going to work... I hope to have the 76mm rim ready this year sometime.

V.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post