HED Ardennes Black

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1234SO

by 1234SO

Has anybody experience with the black rims? Are they as durable as Mavics Black wheels? I read that they are anodized only. Grateful for your thoughts and experiences!

LEC135

by LEC135

^^^Same question. Anyone with any experience yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I believe it's a coating, rather than just anodising.

Like the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites and the impending Ligero Dark Matter rims, I suspect HED will suggest or provide a softer compound pad or carbon pad.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

It's a coating Exalith-like. Haven't you seen the price? The process makes it cost nearly the same as carbon rims. Would be hard to argue with an anodizing à la H+Son.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

I have the HED Belgium Black. Not sure if they are the same rim/compound. Ran then a few times in the rain last year and the coating is coming off on the brake track. It was nice when it lasted, but it's ok. They look used/functional :thumbup:

But yes, it will wear - a lot faster when wet.

SwissStop pads (black), for the record.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

Titanium22

by Titanium22

nobuseri wrote:I have the HED Belgium Black. Not sure if they are the same rim/compound. Ran then a few times in the rain last year and the coating is coming off on the brake track. It was nice when it lasted, but it's ok. They look used/functional :thumbup:

Do you recommend these wheels? I'm considering the Ardennes FR, which I believe are the same, but without the Black, that wears off!

They seem a little heavy for the very high price of an Alloy rimmed wheel. Are they worth it?

Thx.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Titanium22 wrote:
nobuseri wrote:I have the HED Belgium Black. Not sure if they are the same rim/compound. Ran then a few times in the rain last year and the coating is coming off on the brake track. It was nice when it lasted, but it's ok. They look used/functional :thumbup:

Do you recommend these wheels? I'm considering the Ardennes FR, which I believe are the same, but without the Black, that wears off!

They seem a little heavy for the very high price of an Alloy rimmed wheel. Are they worth it?

Thx.

The FR or even the SL models are lighter than the set I have, but have less spokes as well. I ride with some folks who have them, and they like them (if that holds any weight for you). They would buy them again.

I have a hand-built set (Belgium Black) laced to Dura Ace hubs. DT Comp spokes, 32h/32h. Not as light as the SL/FR, but definitely more spokes and I like the dura ace hubs.

I am sure there are lighter rims out there, but I have had good experience with the HED ones in the past, so I stick to them. I wouldn't buy the black model next time - just the uncoated braking surface. :D
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Rich, have your Ligero Dark Matters arrived yet?? Interested to hear reports.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Soon hopefully shipping this week.
I have some samples coming and will
Be building Rich's DMs up. He's got some really crazy hubs lined up. Mine are been built to extralites new cyberhub straight pulls.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Cyberhubs look superb - bit OT but is there a significant difference in flange spacing between the straight pull version and the regular? I think Fairwheel have the straight pull ones measured as lighter....

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I personally avoid the flanged extralite hubs as much as I can as they have a 100kgf limit on the drive side flanges. This leads to a low NDS tension balance which in my option is a non desirable situation.
The straight pulls do have a wider NDS bracing and have a 130kgf limit. Run to around 120kgf you can get a resonable amount of tention On the non drive side. They are a pretty awesome hub

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Thank you.... the NDS flange to centre is pretty wide (?39mm) even on the J bend models. I guess I would have to use beefy DS spokes and Megalites or something on the NDS.

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

LEC135 wrote:^^^Same question. Anyone with any experience yet?

Just got my set- they weigh 1415g without rim tape or skewers.

I spoke to the distributor before buying - apparently he's been running a set for a year in all weathers, and the brake track is still totally black.

I'll report when I have a couple of thousand KM on them.

bally81

by bally81

Can anyone tell someting about the braking performance, is it like disc brakes or ?
Caad 10
Bianchi EV3
Canyon Speedmax AL

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

@bally81 I have about 1000km on mine - 500km in the mountains in all conditions, including torrential rain.

I'd say that, both dry and wet, the braking performance is similar to clean alloy rims with good pads. I'm using compressionless brake cable housing and swisstop pads (the blue ones). It's not a big difference - though they do sound cool when braking, like the Mavic Exalith rims. They squealed quite a bit for the first 300km or so - even with toeing in the pads. Seem fine now. And the black coating is there for good: still looks like new.

They've been reliable so far, although it's pretty early days. There's more deflection in the rear wheel than I'd like - I have to set my pads a bit far from the rim to avoid rub while climbing - but I can live with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com