Tune Mig 70 and Mag 180 service guide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This article came to live as I looked all over the internet to find something like this. Only a fraction of the article on Roues Artisanales remained as some of the pictures went stale.

Servicing the hubs can be done with the following tools:
  • two 5mm hex keys
  • soft faced hammer
  • an old stanley knife blade
  • 6802RS 2 in the front wheel and 2 in the rear wheel
  • 6902RS 2 in the rear wheel
  • Light grease
  • flat head screwdriver
  • patience

TUNE offers a mag tool kit. This is their hub service kit. Having the right tools for the job makes it easier ;)

I'll write this completely about the rear hub as the front hub is the simplified version of the rear.

• Remove the cassette from the body.
  • Put the 5mm hex keys in its sockets in the axle, start turning counter clockwise and you'll find that at the free hub body side the axle end cap will come loose.
    The non drive side of the hub.
  • Remove the washers and o ring as well and put these aside after a bit of cleaning.
  • Now put the wheel with the body facing down on the ground and push down on the rim. The axle will pop out partially as a result.
    (if this doesn't work place a piece of wood over the axle and tap it with the hammer.)
  • Gently pull the body from the axle and give it a clean while you have it in your hands.
    Here is a look inside the hub with the XOT baring and the axle still in place. Although the axle is disconnected from the XOT bearing.
  • Gently pull out the axle.
  • Push the XOT bearing out of the hub shell
  • Clean the ratchet system thoroughly.
  • With the axle now in your hand you will find that the left side bearing will still be in the hub, or as in most cases it sits on the axle.
  • Now pick of that Stanley blade that caused you to raise your eyebrows when you first read it. The aluminum of the axle is light and brittle so you need to gently pry it off. This can be a painstakingly slow procedure as you need to wiggle the damn bearing off the axle.
  • Now that everything is apart clean it thoroughly.
  • Check how the bearings are and replace when needed.

Let the rebuilding begin!
  • Put the bearings in the freezer. This way they will pop in easier in about 15 mins.
  • Smear a thing coating of light grease on the non drive side bearing seat.
  • After you have waited the 15 minutes for the bearings to cool grab the 6902RS and put it into its NDS socket using hand force.
  • Smear some light grease on the seat of the XOT bearing.
  • Stick the axle through the NDS bearing and make sure it sits straight.
  • Tune has some cool tools to install the XOT bearing, but you can also put the XOT bearing on the axle (small bearing to the DS) and then guide it to its seat.
  • once it is in it's seat you gently need to force it in there (freezer) inverting the cassette body with a lock ring works as it gives enough shoulder to push against the bearing.
  • Check if you need to replace the 6802RS bearing in the body, you can easily tap it out and with the freezer trick install a new one.
  • Now that the XOT and NDS bearing are properly in place we can start to install the body.
  • Smear a thick lube on the ratchet system. (in this case I have tried a silicon lube from Cyclon)
  • Drop a bit of lube on the springs and pawls as well.
  • Put the body back on and use a flat head screwdriver to push the pawls into the ratchet system.
  • Once the pawls are back in place push the body on tight.
  • put the Washers and 0 ring around the axle and install the axle end cap.
  • Make sure things are tight enough so your wheel has no more play once the QR locks the wheel in the frame.

The front hub is essentially the same. Although much less complicated.

Good Luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bikeridah

by bikeridah

Awesome post, bookmarked.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Thanks!

liam7020

by liam7020

Many thanks for the excellent article Frankie. I have a pair of tune Schwarzbrenner 42C wheels and the Mag 180 rear hub has just recently started to creak horribly, despite relatively little use and always in dry weather.

Perhaps you could clarify a point regarding the freehub removal? I have removed the Campag cassette and unscrewed the drive side end cap, removing the O ring and washer. Without the tune w-mag toolset, which doesn’t appear to be readily available, how do you remove the freehub from the hub shell? Should it just pull off? I’ve tried pulling it off but it’s refusing to budge. Maybe I need to go to the gym!

Any freehub removal tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Good stuff bro! Got a set of Tune 70/170...been dreading the thought of taking the rear apart to have a look-see on its condition...this makes me more comfortable about it compared to the ease of some other hubs.

LionelB

by LionelB

liam7020 wrote:Many thanks for the excellent article Frankie. I have a pair of tune Schwarzbrenner 42C wheels and the Mag 180 rear hub has just recently started to creak horribly, despite relatively little use and always in dry weather.

Don't get your hopes too high. The only thing that can fix a Tune rear hub creak is to sell it.

liam7020

by liam7020

That sounds like the voice of bitter experience! You may well be right but I won't know for sure until I get this damned freehub off.

I emailed tune to check the availability of this fabled W-mag toolset but as yet no response. Also emailed our site sponsor starbike from whom I bought the wheels and they told me that shouldn't need any specific tools for removing the freehub but did suggest that the Park AV1 axle vice might be useful. Unfortunately they didn't actually say how that would help in removing the freehub but I'm open to any advice right now. I'm hoping Frankie will have some pointers. Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

liam7020

by liam7020

Tune actually replied to my email this morning. It seems that the w-mag toolkit is now known as the TT08 and is indeed readily available for approximately 60 quid. Duly ordered, so at least I'll be able to get the hub apart for inspection. I'll report the results.

LionelB

by LionelB

Yeah, after countless servicing and 2 returns in Germany I gave up on this POS ;)

liam7020

by liam7020

In general I've found tune products fairly disappointing. That said I've used a number of Mig/Mag hubs over the last few years, sometimes on rough roads and in crappy weather, and this is the first time I've experienced any difficulties. This particular Mag hub has had relatively little use, always in the dry so we'll see how it pans out. Now don't start me on tune skewers.....

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Those instructions above dont apply to a Tune Mag 170. The inside of the axle is smooth. Need at least an axle clamp tool, and likely going to just get their kit to service the Mag 170.

Otherwise, 1000 plus miles, my hub has been fine, no issues. But at least wanted to grease it up better and take a look.

I will give zipp credit on my 303 FC wheels, two 5mm hex, service both hubs, then a press to get bearings, but so simple to do basic lube and cleaning, minutes. Tune is a mess in this respect.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... DA&cad=rja

That is the 2015 manual, should be same for earlier I assume, from Fairwheel bikes on their site.

Instructions to disassemble/reassemble...TT08 kit recommended.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com