want to build a do it all wheelset.. help me choose rims!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

So I've got a couple of spare rear hubs lying around, my commuter wheels ( shimano RS500) are just about dead ( worn cups on the hubs) , my normal road training wheels are dying a slow death ( have developed some play in the freehub, and no its not an adjustment issue. ) so have decided to prepare some potential replacements. all hubs are 11 speed compatible.

first up- the current road training wheels ( custom built XR 300s on OEM hubs, 20-24) will move to the commuter.
my race wheels- Zipp 404 tubulars- will find a home on the TT bike. have a set of rebuilt HED alps carbon/alloy clinchers (WI H3 front and DT240 rear) as the TT bike's spare wheelset.
I aim to build 2 sets of wheels- one set of carbon clinchers: a 'nice day' wheelset - thinking gigantex 45mm clinhers , 20/24 with radial and 2x rear. hubs will be an older rear HED hub and probably an OEM or BHS front

which leaves the last set: I want to build a wheel for all round training and something I can potentially race on in crappy/wet conditions where I don't want to bring the carbon wheels. I've looked around and I like:

H plus son Archtype- looks oh so gorgeous, good price. is also semi deep, reasonably light
Kinlin XR279- cheap, very similar to the archetype.
BHS c31- deeper than the above two, so probably more aero. light for it's depth, and also wide. comes in anodized black so won't look too shabby as well.
Flo 30 rim- a tad heavy, but also probably the most aero of the lot( though I dont think the C31 is giving up much) . looks good.

hubs will be novatecs, 20/24 with 1x/2x lacing. since they are spare and lying around doing nothing.
rider is 66-70kg (depending on race season). thoughts?

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

look at the Pacenti sl23, They came in much closer to advertised weight and they built up like a dream. I use them for training in poor weather and for gravel racing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Another vote for the Pacentis here - have 2 wheeelsets with them and they're really well finished. The stickers peel off easily too - they then look the business!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pacentis are good as is the kinlkn xc279 rims. The archetype is good rim too. The pacenti is the lightest and the widest. Novatec light wighghubs are not my choice for riding in crappy weather. Most u.k users of them through the winter months find short bearing life. They are light race day hubs not training hubs. Pick another hub with bigger bearings like miche primato, hope mono rs.............

Slagter

by Slagter

I vote for Flo30. The fact, that they are a little bit heavier than most other rims make them more durable and sturdy IMO. I've done 1.000 km on mine so far. Most of them in crappy weather. I'm running Miche Primato Syntesi hubs as recommended by bm0p700f, and both rims and hubs are doing great so far. Only drawback with Flo30 is the tiremounting. I had to buy ParkTool TL-6 tirelevers to mount and dismount the tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com