Industry Nine i25TL Disc Clncher - Update end of first post.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

More disc wheel stuff.

Any body ride these? Feedback? I know the hubs are highly regarded but what about the build? The rear is 24 hole 2/1 lacing with CX-Ray. Weight limit is 220 lbs. Front is 24-hole, 4 cross Non-drive side lacing, Radial lacing on Drive side.

Curious about durability and ride quality. The thing I love about the handbuilts I have is that the ride is so damn smooth compared to a lot of factory builds.

UPDATE
So I purchased a set. Very good overall. Round and true out of the box. Haven't set up tubless yet but clinchers and tubes went on without a hitch. Ride stiff enough at my weight 180 - 190 lbs. Ride is firm but not at all harsh. Hub rolls beautifully. Freehub is buzzy, the next level of noise up from a CK R45 but not obnoxiously loud. Good looks.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

In my experience the build quality coming out of Industry Nine is pretty decent for their steel-spoke models.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bumping my own thread. Shame not to see more comments. A 1500 gram wide alloy disc clincher. Looks to have the potential to be a real winner.

But...this wheelset takes a very bold approach in the lacing of the rear wheel - 8 spokes radial beside the disc (16 @ 4 cross drive side). There are many comments from very knowlegeable people in this very forum that say this is a serious no-no that will only lead to problems.

I get the technical rationale behind the design but it would be nice to hear about any long term use from actual owners. Do they stay true? spoke breakage? A real shortage of data on this product.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

Generally speaking, that lacing pattern doesn't cause issues; the hub shell is resistant enough to twisting to allow the drive-side spokes to take up all the braking force. Trying to do this lacing pattern on a regular hub which isn't necessarily designed for this sort of thing could be a recipe for disaster, but when you've got something designed to work that way, it's quite doable.

I'm mostly curious to see how they get the spokes in through the hub shell in the first place, with the flange moved so far in. Looks to be oval holes?
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes, it looks as though the spoke head will go through and then hook onto some internal notch. BUT what about water ingress when you hose these things down? I guess the water comes out the same way. :noidea: Bearing well protected I assume.