dura ace 9000 or WI T11 for a zipp rebuild??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

aiming to rebuild a rear Zipp 404 tubs (2009-2010 model year) to 11 speed. yes I know you can do the campag freehub trick, but the TT bike uses 10 speed sram and I'd like the wheel to be useable on both. the road and tt bike.

firstly- do you think the wheels are worth a rebuild? I got them 2nd hand but they are in very good shape. less than 2000 km on them, with myself have done less than 200km. brake pads have lots of life left. Bike shop mechanics are saying the carbon rim is old enough that fatigue is an issue ( I call BS- I'm a mechanical engineer- and CFRP has superior fatigue resistance to metals.). they may have a point about cost versus useability ratio, however. the wheel is a 28 hole build ( originally for heavier riders, but I'm light- 67 kg.) which means it is slightly hardier than your standard 24 hole rears.

if they are worth rebuilding, would you choose a DA 9000 hub or WI T11 28 spoke? or maybe other suggestions? (alchemy, tune are VERY hard to get hold of locally at reasonable prices. maybe DT swiss?) lacing pattern is 2 cross. currently leaning towards the DA 9000 hubs, because I can get em cheaper than the WIs (by about eighty bucks, so a fair amount.) only concern is weight and aesthetically, it doesnt match the silver front hub.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Those Dura Ace hubs are a thing of beauty, a touch on the heavy size but a deeper rim like this shouldn't matter. I rate them very high, the cup and cone bearings do need to be kept on top of though. No experience with WI but, if you can get them I would recommend Hope Mono RS, similar quality to the WI, great value for money, bomb proof and very very easy to service the bearings if ever needed. Depending on where you are in the world they're cheaper than the WI too.

This may, or may not help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I recently rebuilt my Zipp 404 with a WI T11 (after continuing issues with the Zipp hub). I use it between my TT and road bike also. The hub has been mostly trouble free. Breaking in the rebuilt wheel, the pawls stuck a little, but have worked flawlessly for a year now. It's a nice looking hub as well as performing worlds better than the Zipp hub. Can't attest to the Dura Ace hub, but honestly almost anything would've been an improvement.

Slagter

by Slagter

Both hubsets are topquality. DA's have a titanium body, why I would choose the DA hubs.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The T11 hub has a ti freehub shell too.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Is the front hub subject to the current recal? Perhaps rebuild both wheels on 9000 hubs and live happily ever after?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com