Disc Wheel Build Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Frameset - Trek Boone Disc
Rider - 180 - 190 lbs (80 - 85 kg)

Bike will be used exclusively on road as a winter training rig.

Hubs: Favoured right now is White Industries CLD.
Rim: Pacenti SL25
Spokes: CX-Ray
Tires Conti 4 season 28 mm or similar

Questions:
1. What spoke count? I was thinking 32 front and rear.
2. Other hub suggestions? Protection from the elements is important.
3. Are there any other road or 29er rims out there that would be a better choice?
4. Any reason to go 140 mm rotor? Or is 160 mm the way to go?

TKS Gib.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

32 spoke is overkill for your weight. You'll be fine at 24h.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

disc brake rims do not wear out so the spoke count needs to reflect the intended mileage. If you do 10000 miles per year then a 32 spoke count build is not Un reasonable as you will get a few years from them before spokes break.. I am running a test on 24 spoke disc brake wheels but I have a long way to go before I see a spoke breakage.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

FIJIGabe wrote:32 spoke is overkill for your weight. You'll be fine at 24h.

This is interesting to me. I have a few sets of handbuilts on SL23's and I have always been advised to go 28 front and 32 rear. With discs I have been told I need to build up the front a bit to deal with the braking forces hence the 32/32. I can see 28/28 but as low as 24? How solid could that be under my weight built with CX-Rays?

Any 190 pounders around her on 24 hole disc wheelset with CX-Rays?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A 24 spoke build will hold up but spoke breakage will happen sooner Mr. Gib than on a higher spoke count assuming the same build quality. Pick your spoke count based on intended mileage simple as that. If they are everyday wheels when up the spoke count. Also thicker spokes increase torsional stiffness which improves spoke life for disc brake wheels. Also consider triple butted spokes if doing a

If you are only going to do 1000 miles a year on the wheels then a 24 spoke build would be fine for many years but if you do 10000 you may only get a year before the first spoke goes or less which is not so good. So 28F/28R is the mimium I normally build but 32F/32R is common as it will be reliable for a very long time.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks for that clarification bm0p700f.

With the CX Rays I will go with the higher count. I have multiple bikes so mileage will not be that high but why take any chance for the small difference in weight.

Anyone have any comment on hubs. Primary concern is ability to survive wet weather, and being hosed off after messy winter rides. Are DT Swiss 240 better sealed then White Industry?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Both rely mostly on the seals on the bearings. Given that the bearing are stnadard industrial bearings I don't think one is better sealed than the other. I am becoming more convinced difference in bearing life is more to do with axle flex and bearing placement/allignment of the bores than with sealing which seems an easy catch all deciding a good hub from a not so good one.

I don't think DT Swiss hubs would be any more reliable or unreliable than WI CLD's. I think either will serve you well. I would personally ue the WI hubs as you get a Ti freehub which will not notch and have you tried removing the ratchet ring from a DT Swiss hub to get at the DS bearing. It is a right bastard to remove and not a job I like. I end up hurting my shoulders doing it, it requires that much force.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com