ENVE ses 4.5 tubulars, finally...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I've been waiting for this ENVE middle-child to emerge and here it is a 48mm front/ 56mm rear combo, with claimed weights (361g/399g) similar to the 3.4 TU it's aero gains with adding mass.

Here is the original BR article - http://tinyurl.com/bikerumorarticle

jordan00

by jordan00

im surprised theyve managed to basically make them overall lighter compared to the 3.4's. Reckon the new widths will be transferred to the 3.4's and 6.7's?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zitter

by Zitter

wasn't supposed to be released till the 26th, somebody let slip early haha

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Been waiting for this. Dream wheelset. Now I just need money.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Dream rims but they lack the "global wheel concept" that have Campy or Shimano.

I know some of you will like the fact that you can put whatever hubs you want and make it built by your favorite wheelbuilder. But generally those custom wheel lack something. Hard to tell but a lot of people prefer the ride of old gen Boras than Enve 3.4 or 6.7

Slagter

by Slagter

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:
But generally those custom wheel lack something.

Would you mind elaborating?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Slagter wrote:
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:
But generally those custom wheel lack something.

Would you mind elaborating?

Spoke holes orientation, hubs and spoking pattern designed all together.

I know you can build a great custom wheel but from different experience, they seem to be inferior to the "whole package" offered by Campagnolo for example... despite their 2014 rims were basically the same as in 2004. That gotta mean something.

ergott

by ergott

I think in order for that statement to be true one would have to figure out how their spokes and hubs are any different from other options.

Are they using spokes that are a different gauge than the popular CX-Ray? Is the geometry of their hub significantly different?

Grill

by Grill

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Dream rims but they lack the "global wheel concept" that have Campy or Shimano.

I know some of you will like the fact that you can put whatever hubs you want and make it built by your favorite wheelbuilder. But generally those custom wheel lack something. Hard to tell but a lot of people prefer the ride of old gen Boras than Enve 3.4 or 6.7

Completely disagree. If anything it's down to 2 things. First is you can have the best components in the world, but if the builder is rubbish they're never going to feel that nice (factory tolerances are easier to control). Second is that Dura Ace and Record hubs are some of the finest on the market. Other offerings are lighter, but from an overall package standpoint (price, longevity, ease of service, quality) it's quite difficult to do better.

jackie

by jackie

hmmmm and i got myself another set of 3.4.... damm

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

...personally I'd love to build ENVE rims onto a set of Dura-Ace 9000 hubs but you can't get the 20/24 hole count! Still on ain't gonna complain with CK hubs :)

sawyer

by sawyer

I have no idea as to whether they "lack something" versus system builds, but one relevant point to the relative merits is the cost ...

ENVE rims, at least here in the UK, are simply far too expensive. Which is why you never see any.

The street price of 3.4 SES tubular rims is £800 each

By way of comparison, the street price for 35mm new Bora Ones (2015 24mm wide version) is £1,050 for the entire wheelset with pads, QRs etc.

Just no contest

You are looking at more than double the cost for a like for like wheelset, and then you have to factor in steep depreciation on a custom build
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Grill

by Grill

Loads of ENVE's in the UK. I have 2 sets and I'm not the only one. The pricing works as they bridge the gap between factory wheels and Lightweights. I have loads of wheelsets in my day, and the only rims that come close to ENVE build quality are Lightweight and the Reynolds RZR. There are probably more Dogmas in the UK than anywhere else and seeing as you can get the same quality frame for ess than half the price, I just can't believe that cost is the issue with ENVE's.

IchDien

by IchDien

Here in Italy it's about €3000-€3200 a pair of SES wheels w/ DT240 :shock: !!!!! This has been the list price for the past couple of years, before the €uro took a complete crash. The price will go up even further now I imagine.

I have NEVER seen a pair.
Last edited by IchDien on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Yep, lots of Enve being sold in the UK through bricks and mortar stores. I'd also argue that they're not subject to bad depreciation because they are never being sold online at deep discount. Good luck selling a pair of used Zipps for a decent price when last year's (or even this year's) are on Wiggle at 45% off. Doesn't happen with Enve.

Having said that, they could do with losing about £100 a rim and £300 for a wheelset. Same as their finishing kit, £850ish for bar stem and post is beginning to take the piss.