Road Disc Recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I recently "finished" building up a 2014 Trek Crockett (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130567). Now it's come time to build up a better set of road disc wheels, and leave my current wheelset for CX racing purposes, only.

I'm looking for suggestions. Here are the main rules: (1) budget friendly, (2) robust, (3) lightweight. I know the old adage, and I think with current availability of wheels from China, all three are attainable. I'm leaning toward a set of Farsports 38x25mm wheels, 24f/24r or 24f/28r, but I'm not sure what hub to go with, or whether to just buy the rim and have a local wheel builder put it together with my choice of components.

Obviously, as it's a disc brake wheel, the brake track doesn't matter, but quality is very important.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For lowish cost get a set of pacenti sl25 rims laced to hubs that you can afford. Novatec d771 and d772 are fairly cheap reliable and not overly heavy. A wheelset under 1700g is easily doable my own set is a 24 spoke build with novatec hubs, CX ray spokes and velocity aileron rims which weigh around 1560g. other good hubs are the not so light shimano CX 75 or the white industries M16 or the cld hubs. DT SWISS 350 hubs are a good option too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have a set of CX75 hubs that I found on eBay for a very good price, but they're heavy as sin! I was trying to find something lighter, if possible. Any suggestions on Novatec hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

I've built the new Velocity Ailerons and have been very pleased with the build quality, and the fit and finish are a really big step up for them. Solid rim!
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

check nextie bikes rims from China ...
http://eliflap.it/

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at reviews online, it seems like Stans Grail and Velocity Ailerons get about the same reviews. Stans can be had for a good price on Amazon ($84, shipped), and they're roughly the same weight (460g). I can definitely put together a good set of wheels based on those rims, I just don't know if they'll be any lighter than what I've got on there now (especially if I use the CX-75 hubs and go 28f/28r).

Does anyone have any experience with the Stans Iron Cross wheels? I know they aren't as aero as the others mentioned, but they are about 80g lighter.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just got a quote from Farsports on the 38mm U-Shape rims. $353 shipped, plus 4.5% for PayPal. 70g lighter than the Grail/Ailerons per wheel, but around $200 more. hmm...

F45

by F45

No reason not to get some cool carbon rims. I'd get those Farsports or the Light Bicycle 35mm for around the same price. They're just so stiff.

pushstart

by pushstart

Stans Grail rims are awesome. I highly recommend. I have them on my cx/touring bike and if I had to have just one wheelset, that would be it. (But luckily I have multiple bikes and wheelsets.)

On my (disc) road bike I have a set of LB U45 rims laced (w/ CX Rays) to Novatec XD711/D712 hubs. They weighed in just shy of 1600g. I built these 28/28 for durability; I ride them in whatever, but they are also my race wheels. They are awesome wheels and I would definitely buy more LB rims (their new 25mm-wide rims are tempting). I would probably consider doing 24/24 build; however, I don't think it makes sense to use a lower count on the front wheel (e.g. 24/28) since that is your braking wheel -- and disc brakes are putting more strain on spokes.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I have 2 sets of LB rims and am extremely happy with them. I've had other open mold style carbon rims but the LB finish and quality is noticably better. Both are 28/28 builds. I've also found they hit their projected rim weights better than some other manufactuers.

For hubs, one of my main considerations was making sure my hubs were convertable to different formats. I think for road/cross bikes, we may go through a few iterations before settling on thru axle format. That's why I went with DT Swiss 240s.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, agree on LB hitting the weights -- my pair weighed in at 449g and 451g. And finish was very nice.

I also agree on hubs -- I chose the front Novatec XD711 so I could switch out axles (now running 15mm TA). It is a nice hub. My rear hub was just the QR D712 hub; I probably would advise a convertible hub, but expect I will build new wheels (or rear) when I change frames.