What Hubs for a HED Beglian Plus custom build ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

Since "everything wheels" is probably one of the best places in the net to ask questions for a new wheelset here I go.

I am 1.92 and weigh 87-90 kilos. Wheels will be used on a modern build Colnago Super. I use it for audaxes and club rides. The carbon bike is in the shack for more racey events.

I want to replace the Fulcrum Racing 5s, since the power on the pedals does not translate in movement. The wheel is like being glued somewhat to the tarmac. Nothing like the DA C24 on the carbon bike.

Question: Besides the stiffness of the frame what makes a wheel snappy the rim or hub what is more important ? Surely the wheel as a total is what really mattes.

I have my eyes on a HED Belgian Plus set of rims since the total black look is nice and understates and they have great reviews for comfort and stiffnes. I guess for my weight I should go for 28/32 build. 28/28 is possible?

Concerning the hubs what would you suggest? I am interested in a Value for Money hub ... not R45s DT240 and all the top selections that break the bank. I just want to make a good reliablie wheelset that translates power to movement without slugginess.

P.S. Anyone knoes if the black of the break surface of the rim wears off easily on these Belgian plus

http://www.hedcycling.com/rims-hubs/rims/belgium-rims

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

If stiffness is the most important factor, you should aim for hubs with the right flangespacing and flangeheight. I know that bm0p700f will point you in the direction of the Miche Primato Syntesi or Novatec hubs, if you're looking for a budget hubset. If you go for Miche, you're staying in the italian department...

upside

by upside

The BHS hubs and great value and built up very nice. Just my 2 cents. I have a couple sets and they are as smooth as Dura Ace or White Industries.

Slagter

by Slagter

upside wrote:The BHS hubs and great value and built up very nice. Just my 2 cents. I have a couple sets and they are as smooth as Dura Ace or White Industries.

I have a pair of them as well. And I can't complain about them either. They have done well for more than 6.000 km so far primarily in winter conditions. But the bearings are small, so I guess they don't have as many km's/miles in them as other hubs with bigger bearings.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

White Indos.. Also hate to break it too you but good luck in getting any of the Belgium blacks.
I build wheels and I An't seeing any, Amy time soon :D

stormur

by stormur

Being on similar weight to yours I'm using in my CX bike 24-28 Hed C2 ( not Plus ) rims, DT 350 Straight pull hubs, DT Comp, brass niples . Wheelset build to "survive all". Not the lightest, but really bombproof. Never need to true them, just -due it's purpose- regular hub maintenance . With 350SP adding some ( 40?) grams you save 35% of 240s price and get same ratchett system.

Going to Dt Aerolite/ CX Ray and alu niples you are around 1500-1520g wheelset for C2 and maybe 40g more for C2+ rims.

So, IMO 28-28, or 28-32 is huge overkill for road… no need for such strong wheel. On road I would use even 24-24. HED's "FR" set is 24-28 ( 225lbs weight limit )… . If you afraid of power transfer - stiffness just use AeroComp on DS instead of AeroLite ( like Dt does from 2014 on their builds… ) - but … no point IMO.

Just finish build of c2 rims ( 24F 28R ) on Dt 240s, Dt Aerolite all over , alu niples : 1470g :up: Amazing result for wide rim , 52 spokes wheelset .

And yes- black "ano" will wear off of the rim rather quickly.

"Old" Fulcrum is around 1800-1850g relatively low-spoke ( read heavy rim ) wheelset - so how to expect from 200€ wheels reactivity on the 5x more expensive wheels level ? ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I can attest to the DT350 being a really nice hub for the money. That being said nothing rolls quite like a shimano hub imo......loved my RS80s, DA7900 C24s and my current all-around wheelset Ultegra 6800s. If I was going to build a wheelset in the 32 spoke range I would go DA9000 or 6800 hubs to HED Belgium Plus rims.....done.

grover

by grover

I figure you're putting a Campy group on it...otherwise you'd just use C24s?

Anyway, why not Record hubs?

thprice

by thprice

grover wrote:...why not Record hubs?
+1

stormur

by stormur

btompkins0112 wrote:... That being said nothing rolls quite like a shimano hub imo......

maybe because you didn't use high-end Campagnolo hubs ? :welcome:

Shimano has 1 model of "really nice" hub : Dura Ace. Unfortunately the heaviest from same league competitiors :( And unapplicable for Campagnolo drivetrain… You can covert between Campy/ Shimano any DT "ratchett" and Record hubs without issues.

Ultegra… is perfect example how to make front hub weight almost as rear hub :mrgreen: to not mention very limited drilling ( like Campagnolo Record :( )

HED C2/C2+ and 32 spokes is HUGE overkill for OP weight… even build on Rev's/SuperComp DS / and Record hubs will be around 1700g - for the 1/3 of the money I would choose Fulcrum Racing 5LG which is around 1650g ( having pressure on wider rim ) .

350 straight pull on aerolite and 24-28 will be max 1550g - veery reasonabe weight for wide alu rim , 52 spokes - and very reliable. 240 to 350 is 55g (real weight) weight penalty only. 200€ for hubs set, 105€ for spokes + some € rims. Plus work.

IMO best bang for the € ( starting from point 90kg rider and HED C2 rim ) .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A 24f 28r build is all the op needs. Record hubs are lovely but 32H only.

Miche Primato hubs are the budget hub of choice as they extremely reliable. The lightest build 24f 28r with sapim laser or CX ray spokes and alloy nipples will be 1650g or 1660g.

A build with DT Swiss 350 straight pull hubs and aero lite spokes will be 1600g at least not 1550g.

The ris are around 480g.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

White Industries T11s are probably the thing for you - spending all that money on nice rims then lacing them up to some cheapo hubs would be a big waste, however the WI hubs fall right in the middle of the price range.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Would love if you could point me to some Cup & Cones bearings that wont break the bank ... no campy record since they are 32h or shimano DA since wheels will be used with a Centaur rear derailleur

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

28H cup and cone hubs are definitely rare, since Shimano and Campy are the only ones who really manufacture them anymore, and Campy only makes record hubs. 24h fronts are just about impossible.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Dura ace hubs are available in 18H and 24h fronts. I have a set of record 28h silver hubs laced to some hed tubular rims. You need to search ebay and maybe pay a hungarian a silly amount of money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com