What Hubs for a HED Beglian Plus custom build ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

bm0p700f wrote:A 24f 28r build is all the op needs. Record hubs are lovely but 32H only.

Miche Primato hubs are the budget hub of choice as they extremely reliable. The lightest build 24f 28r with sapim laser or CX ray spokes and alloy nipples will be 1650g or 1660g.

A build with DT Swiss 350 straight pull hubs and aero lite spokes will be 1600g at least not 1550g.

The ris are around 480g.

Sorry to say, but you're totally wrong :(

Weight difference between 350 sp set and 240 set is 52 grams - measured(!) . FIFTY TWO . Just finished DT240 - Dt aerolite - HED C2 clincher , alu nipples : 1470g.Measured. Twice. 2 scales.

Add 52g for hubs and 10g for longer spokes cause of s-p ( twice as really difference is ) : 1532g, 130 less than you estimate… that's the difference : I know, you "estimate" :idea:

Maybe you calculated thick cheap chinese spokes and brass nipples :?: :roll:

And how com same weight for Dt350 and Primato, since when Primato and 350 SP weight same ????

Well….. you can like/not some products ( clearly visible and affected by goods you're selling ) , but "truth management" to justify this ? Really ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My weight are based on aim spokes. 350 hubs are 364g (edit as I have a typo here before) products pair and 240 hubs are 319g (again edited due to a typo I put 305g before) per pair so we agree on that.

290mm cxrays spoke and alloy nipples is 5g so 52 of them are 260g then add ~400g for the hubs and 480g for the rims. Add that together and you get 1600g that when my weights come from. I am not wrong I do know the weights of the components I use.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stormur

by stormur

No , we don't .

Your scale shows 10% more than 2 of mine ( Feedback and PT )

More : your scale shows same weight for Miche Primato hub set and DT 350SP :mrgreen: Miracle.

Now some REAL measurements ( no offense ;) )

669g front wheel
801g rear wheel
----------------
1470g total weight

DT SWISS 240 28R 24F "classic" 2x rear, 0 front.
HED C2 Belgium 24+28h rims
DT Aerolite spokes, aluminium 12mm nipples.

You or do not understand what I wrote ( I doubt it ) , or intentionally "try to change facts to fit your theory" - whatever- further discussion for me has no sense in that situation… .
Mark Twain

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Tune Mig & Mag

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche hubs are 435g for a pair 350 sP hubs are 364g for a pair I seem to have got that wrong earlier. Stormur your post was not clear on component weights If I have made a mistake highlighting the error is more useful than casting accusations. I do not change the facts please don't accuse me of that it is unfair and unfounded.

All weights are done on the Park Tool scale.

Still as you will see my estimate of 1600g is actually spot on for the HED/SP 350/CX-ray build. I think I assumed a weight of 400g for the SP 350 hubs but I was unsure so I stated weight will be at least 1600g.

I am weighing parts again for you on my PArk tool scale.
Belgium + rims 482g weighted today.
DT Swiss 350 hubs SP 374g
52 Spaim CX-ray spokes + alloy nipples 260g

Add it up and it is 1596g With Miche Primato hubs it will be 1659g.

Rim weights do vary. All the HED Belgium+ rims I have received and weighed ave been 480g ish not 470g like yours.

Using the 240 hubs are 319g for a pair not 350g which refers to the disc brake version so I got that wrong too.

Using the figure of 319g for 240 hubs I get 1540g for a wheelset built this way. So your weight stormur of 1470g is underweight indicating very light rims or a issue with your scales. I will assume underweight rims which is luckly for you but as I said current rims are 480g and there is no getting away from that.

stormur

by stormur

Why U R doing this ?

Do U see dffernce between HED Belgium C2 rim and HED Belgium C2+ rim ??? - I do , in width, rim design and weight. So again you apply something different than I described to get different result…

Next thing is Spoke's : you use Sapim, I did DT Aerolite. Weight both ( 100pcs ) and you will discover something new ;)

Why U R doing this ? Why you protect your ( wrong ) estimation ( in comparison to really build wheels ) like independence ???

My scales are fine. Fine enough to show 4 g and 5g / each/ difference between black and white DT240 hubs (F&R).

EOT for me.
any reply directed to me in this topic will be waisting of keyboard.
Mark Twain

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The title of the tread is for a build with belgium plus rims so weights need to be quoted with that or did you forget about that.

Ainsy

by Ainsy

Ordered a set of these rims as well for a custom build and have been pondering the same decision...

Was firstly considering going the CK R45's...but now think the WI T11's seem to be the better option for bang for buck performance

If something a little more exotic then maybe the MIG 70 / MAG 170 may be the better option now that Tune has tried to address the issues it had with the 180 rear

If something a little less flashy but serviceable you can't go past the DT Swiss 240 or the 350 series hubs which are both upgradable to the 36t ratchet for quicker engagement

Still not sure which way to go as so many options and pros for each consideration!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wi t11 lver chris king hubs or dura ace 9000. I woild rather use the cheaper miche hub over a dt swiss road hub. Dt hubs have narrow rear flange spacing which comprimises rear wheel stiffness. Still of the above hubs the da9000 or the white industries t11's are the best And the geometry of the wi hubs is even more favorable than the dura ace hubs. 5

Slagter

by Slagter

stormur wrote:Why U R doing this ?

Do U see dffernce between HED Belgium C2 rim and HED Belgium C2+ rim ??? - I do , in width, rim design and weight. So again you apply something different than I described to get different result…

Next thing is Spoke's : you use Sapim, I did DT Aerolite. Weight both ( 100pcs ) and you will discover something new ;)

Why U R doing this ? Why you protect your ( wrong ) estimation ( in comparison to really build wheels ) like independence ???

My scales are fine. Fine enough to show 4 g and 5g / each/ difference between black and white DT240 hubs (F&R).

EOT for me.
any reply directed to me in this topic will be waisting of keyboard.

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. But damn, your tone is annoying. You ought to work on that.