RS80 c24 - help with weird spoke issue (tension)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

torob

by torob

Hi all,

After a trainer ride today, I noticed a very loose spoke - almost as if the nipple had broken or something. When I deflated and removed the tire / tube to inspect the loose spoke, it had magically tightened itself! In fussing about afterwards, it seems like anything under 100PSI fixes the spoke tension. :noidea:

I'm using a cheap old bontrager tire for training this winter, and a regular butyl tube. Anyone experience anything similar? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

A mounted and inflated tire will reduce spoke tension overall. If one is lower to start with, then the tire can reduce it to looseness. Don't use it until it's fixed. Use the "twang" method to bring up the tension on the loose spoke, or seek the services of a professional. Urbane Cyclist on John or MEC on King would be my suggestions.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

NealH

by NealH

Also, its not necessary to clamp down on the rear tire like a pro wrestler twisting someone's head. Only clamp enough so the tire doesn't slip. Its probably easier with trainer specific tires a the rubber compound is different.
Last edited by NealH on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Get the tension evened out and maybe raised if they are low. A Shimano rim will handle 1100N and a good shop with a tension gauge will be able to work this out.