light 'retro' alloy wheels for a Clyde - help please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I'm putting together a project that needs a retro looking wheelset - as light as possible. I weigh 200lb+ and may favourite day to day wheels are Fulcrum zeros - but they don't look right on the new project to be unveiled later this year. I am looking for something around the same weight (low 1400g's) if possible.

By retro I am thinking low profile alloy rims, round spokes and hubs all in silver/polished finish

Budget is not a limiting factor in order to achieve the look I am after.
Drivetrain is Campy 11spd.

At present my 'conservative' build thinking is kinlin XR-22T rims 28/28 laced to polished White Industries T11 hubs with Sapim lasers front and lasers/race at rear - this would come in around 1500g and be pretty robust. I am happy to use 2x and 3x lacing front and rear to add strength if it keeps the weight down by reducing spoke nos.

The Kinlin XR-22T seems to be a reasonable compromise of low profile and strength for a bigger rider. I would prefer to go 24H at front but at this stage can only find the XR-22T rims in the black finish. I would consider getting a black rim custom polished to remove the black if I can find someone to do it. Not sure if the standard Kinlin silver rims have a anodised/clear finish to keep them looking smart. - happy to get any suggestions where I might either get a rim polished in US or find a silver 24H (anywhere Worldwide).

The Velocity A23 is probably closer to the mark in terms of being lower profile and is available in silver in 24H but the FWB alloy rim roundup suggests it is not a very stiff rim, the finish is a bit average and it is a bit heavier than the XR22

Using a Tune Mig70/Mag170 hubset would make a big difference to weight and probably get me down to my target 1400g with 28/28 spokes but the Tune reputation makes me a little nervous (I had a creaking Mag180 in the past) The 170's seem to be holding up well with no bad reports(?) but would appreciate any thoughts on suitability for a bigger guy.

Please feel free to weigh in with suggestions
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Guess it depends a bit on how the wheels are going to be used also. If it's a set for the "nice sundays" bike (heard that exists :mrgreen:) you could go a little lighter. If you're going to beat it over potholes, cobbles and/or gravel regularly, as would be appropriate for a "retro" build, you want beef.

Since you mention deep pockets, you could as well start with a HED Belgium rim and have it polished. Anyway at 24mm depth for the C2 and the Kinlin, and the pronounced V shape of the A23, neither of those will give you the true "box rim" look. Go H Plus Son TB14 with lots of spokes, if that's a concern. (Rumor has it the Pacenti PL23, which is also box shaped, is not super strong).

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

How about some H Plus Son TB14s? Not a super light rim but paired with some WI T11 28h hubs you're looking at around 1500g and a strong rim. Super super shallow for that retro Ambrosio Nemesis retro look.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Thanks for your thoughts
I love the TB14 rim - I have two wheelsets with these including a set of TB14s + WI T11's - beautiful and solid - but 'heavy' - at 32H F+B weight is over 1800g
Dropping spokes to 28H and using lighter spokes might get the build down to 1650g

I love these wheels on the flat but I live up a hill that features a final 2km climb at 10%+ so looking for a 'climbing wheel' with a lighter rim to make getting home more likely
For this project I am sort of thinking of a modern wheel with a retro look rather than strictly classic if that makes sense - I am happy to relax the 'correct' need for a box section rim - as long as it is silver/polished the rim shape can vary a bit. Viewed from a distance the rim profile wont be as critical as colour and rim depth.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

T11 rim will need to be a 32 spoke rear for it to be stiff enough to hold together for a good length of time. Sapim race spoke must be used as well. Weight would be for a 28f/ 32r would be alot more than 1500g try 1730g

The archetype rim is stiff enough for 28 spoke rear weight will be lower 1660g with lasers front and race spokes rear. Brass nipples assumed.

The pacenti sl23 in silver is your best bet 24f/28 laser spokes front and race spokes rear. With brass nipple and wi t11 hubs weight will be 1580g. That is as light as is sensible in my view.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I know it is WW but I really feel that trying to gain weight at the hubs is a loss of money and looking for trouble with less durable parts/bearings. And often, there are cheaper alternatives with better bearings.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

except the WI T11 hubs will handle a 200lb rider easily. The OP could ue Shimano Dura ace 7900 silver hubs or even old ultegra 6700 but spares for these are out of production and over the next few years spares will start to dry up.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Hed Belgium rims are a good choice. Low profile and very durable. Another option to consider is the Stan's Alpha 400.

I know you want a really light wheelset, but at your weight, that's difficult to pull off with a low profile aluminum rim. At over 200 lbs, the lowest spoke count I would go would be 28front/32rear.

I would use DT Competition spokes on the front, 2x. DT Comp rear DS, revolution NDS (3x). Aluminum nips on the front wheel will be fine. I would use brass on the DS rear.

The WI T11 hubs are affordable and very strong. Nothing wrong with them, even at your weight.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The OP want silver finish and HED and Stans do not do silver rims unless you spend alot of time polishing.

gummee

by gummee

How retro is retro? Retro as in MA40/MA2? Retro as in Open SUP CD (aka Open Pro) style? Something in the middle?

If you're not adverse to tubulars, the Nemesis is a good rim.

I've had good luck with the TB-14s, Open Pro-style rims (have at least 3 pair right now), Nemesis, MA40s, and probably several more that someone over 200# wouldn't want to ride.

If you set your way back machine to the late 80s when pros were concerned about handling in a crosswind with the new 'aero' rims, they'd ride a box-section front with an aero rear like a Sun Mistral.

HTH

M

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I know this is old, but thought I'd weigh in.

No the A23 isn't that stiff, but it won't be far from the XR-22T in that respect. Rims I've gotten lately are <440g but that isn't guaranteed. If you don't mind a little maintenance you can get them in very pretty mirror polish to match the hubs. If you live on the coast I wouldn't recommend that, though. I'd recommend 24f and 32r using CX-Rays. Don't worry about saving hub weight unless the rest of your bike is super light. The only place you'll feel lightness is in the rims, nipples, rim tape, tubes, tires, etc. The parts that contribute to rotational inertia.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com