Glue removal method that worked pretty well

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martyh

by martyh

hairdryers on carbon rims scare the hell out me.
i tried this previously on a 20mm rim a couple of years ago and the rim warped and buckled completely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sd5500

by sd5500

gummee wrote:I have a drill press in the garage with a wire wheel on it. Works wonders for getting glue off rims without destroying anything because after the first little bit, you're rotating glue against the glue that builds up in the wires of the wheel. I brace the rim against the upright of the drill press and using light pressure, work the rim around till the glue's gone.

You can do the same 'hold the base tape of the tire to the wire wheel' thing like you do with the rims, but you need to be more careful of the sidewalls.

No chemicals that may interfere with re-gluing later.

M

On carbon rims?

sd5500

by sd5500

martyh wrote:hairdryers on carbon rims scare the hell out me.
i tried this previously on a 20mm rim a couple of years ago and the rim warped and buckled completely.

Seriously? Braking down a long steep decent would heat your rims way more than a hair dryer ever could, so I'm guessing you never did that on those rims?

davidalone

by davidalone

if you have paint stripper that is formulated to work against latex based paints ( which most paint strippers are) they work wonders against tubular glue. I's nasty stuff tough, so you need gloves and be careful with it from messing up any decals you have. use an old brush, wipe it on the glue all the way round the wheel, take an old rag, and wipe it off. takes 5 mins. Wash our rims through with water and soap after that.

Another alternative is to go to an auto store and pick up glue remover. This stuff is used on car parts, so pretty sure it's safe on carbon. takes abit longer than the stuff above but same result. It's petroleum based, and is usually abit messier than the above method. again, wear gloves.

sd5500

by sd5500

I just bought a heat gun. Works a lot faster than the hair dryer.

yz387

by yz387

Be careful with heat on carbon rims; especially the high temps produced by a heat gun. I have seen first hand the damage caused when a friend tried this method to make glue removal easier. Warped and destroyed what was once a really nice wheel.

fogman

by fogman

Do not use a heat gun. I ruined an expensive carbon fiber water ski using one. A hair dryer should be okay, not nearly as hot.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's interesting.