New Wheels---To Enve or not ot Enve.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wombus

by wombus

Enve 3.4 rims are 452g/465g F/R (rim weight only which is basically all that matters for feeling sluggish up hills assuming spoke counts are kept the same). I'd be surprised if anything as deep as the Enve 3.4 or deeper is better in a cross wind. I don't believe the shop guy in his assertion that reynolds 46 are better. But hey if he's that confident try demoing them and make up your own mind.

Personally, I ride Enve 3.4s and at just under 195lbs I find them great.

Zipp 202 are 414/406 F/R so they will feel lighter, and have less profile side on
Zipp 303 are 500/500 F/R so will feel heavier
Enve 45s are 440 F/R so they will feel about the same
Reynolds 46 weigh 1505g for a set - Enve 3.4 are 1450g so I would suggest rim weight is on par. The bike radar review suggested the crosswind pressure of reynolds was a little less than Zipp 303, but also far more unpredictable.

joseph42s

by joseph42s

As anyone tested the Bora's? Would you go 35 or 50?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I put feeling of sluggish down to how my legs are feeling. Riding the same bike with the same wheels sometime it feels sluggish sometime not. It must be how my legs are feeling. I don't think wheels feel sluggish unless the rims are really really heavy.

joseph42s

by joseph42s

You're probably right, I should asked to keep the wheels for 2-3 days so I could get some different rides. There was several hours of car time leading up to this so its possible its all in my head.

Zitter

by Zitter

I recommend Industry 9. Their carbon rims are made in collaboration with Reynolds and are a special model of the top of the line Reynolds rims, but do extra steps of removing bladder/QC. They use their own hubs which are superior to CK and are phenomenal. Their alloy road wheels are essentially upgraded Ardennes too. I've heard of the Reynolds being best for crosswinds and such, but not their build, so their rims plus I9 hubs and build are perfect.

http://www.industrynine.net/road-wheels ... Tubular%29 (carbon medium dish, they also make low profile)
http://www.industrynine.net/road-wheels ... Tubular%29 (alloy low profile)