Recommendations for a light clincher build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reqm

by reqm

I'm planning to visit a wheelbuilder to get my first custom set of clinchers built and would love to get some recommendation on what parts I should get. I've never tinkered with this before, so any input will be tremendously appreciated! :)

Its main usage will be for climbs and long distance group rides (200-300km). I weigh 150lbs and would like to prioritize climbing performance. I don't particularly have a budget in mind.. somewhere around $1000-1500?

I was thinking H Plus Son Archetype, Chris King, and CX-ray spokes, but that's just a random collection of parts that seem popular to me. Please help! :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

How light do you want them? What is your weigh?

Why do you want them light instead of aero? You only benefit from light wheels if the climbs are very steep or you do a lot of acceleration.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Forget Chris King hubs. Too expensive for a hub that is a shell that rotates on a some bearings. CK hubs are as light as White Indsutries T11 hubs and more expanive. Perform no better either. So here are some suggestions suggestions of what I would ride on long rides if I were to use clinchers.

20F/24R WI T11 hubs on H plus Archetype rims or the Lighter PAcenti SL23 rims with CX ray spokes. The Pacenti/ WI build will be 1455g.

Or try 18F/24R Pacenti SL23 rims on Dura Ace hubs (you could use WI T11 hubs I suppose) with Cx-rays. Got my first batch of 18H fronts this week damm fine hubs.

You could save cash by using laser spokes they are no heavier.

For sub 1400g light try Ryde Pulse Sprint rim 20F/28R built with laser or Cx-rays on WI T11 hubs or lighter hubs. $$$$$$ does not buy more performance than $$$, so set spec that meets your needs and spend the change on other bike stuff.

Also an aerdynamic wheel will put perform even on climbs a lighter less aero wheelset. If you want really light and aero think 38mm deep carbon tubular rim. Doing a 18F/24R set on DA9000 hubs. Light and aero win win.

ergott

by ergott

Good advise, but it's best you have these conversations with the wheel builder. If they are worth their work they won't steer you wrong. Just be honest with your needs and budget.

reqm

by reqm

How light do you want them? What is your weigh?

Why do you want them light instead of aero? You only benefit from light wheels if the climbs are very steep or you do a lot of acceleration.

I weigh under 150lb. Some factory wheels I'd like to benchmark include Fulcrum Racing Zero and Shimano C24, so comparable weight or lighter would be perfect.

I do own a set of carbon tubulars, which is more aero and quite light, but I don't feel comfortable riding them on randonneuring events that are longer than 200-300km. I'd prefer to use a set of clinchers for those rides.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carry two spare tubs and a can of pit stop. Done 400km rides on tubs no drama. You may want to consider tubeless tyres. Using those at present and it is very reassuring knowing the sealant will sort out most cuts. no cuts yet though and I keep riding throught the gravel to see what happens and nothing happens.

also when you talk to your wheel builder look at cheaper hubs. There are some very good offerings from Novatec (A171/F172) and Miche that not as light but cheap and reliable. If you live in dryish area then the novatec A291/f482 are quite good light weight hubs.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Low spoke count (20, radially laced at front, 24h, 2x laced at both sides rear (some do the cassette side radial, you're light enough for that)) will keep the weight down.
You could also look up "Powerway r13" hubs, that are also light and cheap.
Bike hub store also has some no name light hubs on offer.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Only buy hubs that you can get spares for easily or if you can't when you buy the hub buy a whole pile of spares. Just remeber that when going for far eastern hubs.

PSM

by PSM

Love mine:

1 1 TU_Alpha70 Laufradsatz Tune Alpha, ab ca. 1.260 Gramm
Freilaufnorm Shimano/SRAM
Anzahl Speichen vorne 24/hinten 28
Tune Farbe Silber
Speiche Sapim Laser, Schwarz
Farbe Alunippel Schwarz

Vorderradnabe Tune MIG 70, ca. 71 Gramm 24 Silber
Hinterradnabe Tune MAG 170, ca. 173 Gramm 28 Silber
Shimano/SRAM

Laser Speiche Sapim Laser, Schwarz
Nippel Sapim Alunippel Schwarz
NoTubes Alpha 340, ca. 350 Gramm

sbh1973

by sbh1973

If rim width is not your main concern, try the Kinlin XR19w at 20/24 or 20/28 holes with CX-Rays or Lasers, alloy nipples, and lightweight hubs. Depending on what hubs you use, you could have a 1320g wheelset for as little as $300.00 or as much as your budget allows. The XR19w is a little stiffer than the XR200 and the eyelets make it easy to work with. The mechanic who works at my shop weighs 130 pounds as is pretty hard on his wheels (Cat 1 racer). For fun, he just built up a 20/20, 1275g set. I don't recommend that, but he's doing fine on them. I think you could get away with 20/24 without any problems.

Orfitinho

by Orfitinho

- Tune Mig70/Mag170
- 20/24 Sapim Laser or CX-Ray (depends on the budget)
- Ryde Pulse Sprint / Sprint OS

Slagter

by Slagter

Maybe a controversial question - especially here, but does it even make sense to aim for light hubs? I mean rims are rotational mass, hubs not so much.

eric

by eric

Rotating mass doesn't make nearly the difference that legend says it does. See http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2013/ ... parts.html and http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2014/ ... ts-ii.html

But weight removed anywhere is that much less weight to drag up hills. Whether it's worth it depends on the intended use and how much the rider is willing to spend.

Slagter

by Slagter

^thanks, I read that already. Very interesting article.

And I agree about your point about weight removed. And the way I see it, there's no significant difference between removing weight from the hubs and anywhere else on the bike or your body.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reqm

by reqm

I'm interested in the build with Tune Mig70/Mag170, 20/24 Cx-ray spokes, and Pacenti/H Son Plus Archetype rims.
I was also interested in the Alchemy Elf/Orc hubs but I suppose they took a big hit since the recall issue? The hubs still seemed to be unavailable last I checked.

How well would a build like this compare to a factory wheelset like the Fulcrum Racing Zero?