Carbon tub rim wear with cork pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

conquistador

by conquistador

Out of my depth here.
Bought some wheels described as no wear to braking surface. My experience is solely with metal surfaces and this is first foray into carbon. I believe they are Aeolus and I have attached photos of the areas of the wheel. First is showing what it looks like unmarked, Second is like a smudge. Third and Fourth show this one area, a small patch that wears below the top layer. Hard to describe but it's like the wheel is covered in a thin uniform layer covering all the rim (eyelets, brake surface, lip) except in this one area where there is wear and the surface is removed leaving an edge that you can catch under the fingernail.

They were owned by a pro cyclist as training wheels (Team Sky mad money) and I have been assured that they have had light use with cork pads. Does this description of their past match this defect. I have looked up about heat fatigue, blow outs, scratches, basalt finish etc but need reassurance from someone in the know as I only have the seller's word.

davidalone

by davidalone

I would never buy anything a pro cyclist used for training unless it was dirt cheap. pro cyclists are mostly notoriously bad at taking care of their equipment. they ride for 5-6 hours a day, on free stuff which is considered disposable since they change bikes after every season. they have mechanics to take care of most of thier equipment for them, which usually leaves (most of them) lazy to do their own maintenence. lots of pro cyclists have come out and admitted this.

OTOH the wheel in question looks alright. the area you are talking about looks like someone grabbed a bunch of brake, hard, in an n emergency stop. I wouldn't sweat it, it's definitely rideaable. thei're tubbies anyway so brake track failure from heat issues are much less of a concern than clinchers. would cork pads do that? no idea. you may experience some 'pulsing' during braking however.

off-topic- that glue job is horrible. might want to re-do the glue job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Looks like the decals were put on over the brake track, no? Somethings not right there or my eyes deceive me.

As far as the original question, carbon brake surfaces last a lot longer than alloy in my experience. I've looked after carbon wheels from my customers that have many 10s of thousands of miles on them. I've seen some as old as 10 years with high mileage. The same thing that can kill any brake surface is large particles lodged in the brake pads. A small chip of a stone can grind down any brake surface, carbon or alloy.

conquistador

by conquistador

I got this response from the seller

'Don't bother me again.
I have offered you a refund.
You have asked others? What does that mean.
You have never raced. Clearly a novice. You are out of your depth.
I don't want any bad feelings but I really do not have time for this.
Give me a call if you wish a refund but I'm not being dragged in to email ping pong.'

conquistador

by conquistador

Is there anything I can do to blend the patch in as the exposed edge seems delicate like it could peel away? The other areas of wear blend between the layers without this onion-skin like fracture

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Just get your refund .. While you can

Where they that cheap?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Did you do your research on those wheels before you bought them? I'd certainly ask for a refund and send them back.

ergott

by ergott

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. If you can get your refund, do it.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

spdntrxi wrote:Just get your refund .. While you can

Ditto, take your money while the seller agrees. I couldn't categorically say they are kaput but is it worth the risk? Only you know what they cost you.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Refund. With layers of CF peeling off the brake surface they're questionable at best. They've been seriously abused, possibly with incorrect pads. More CF may peel off. And the braking will pulse severely as the pads hit the various bad spots. It only takes .1mm variation in rim width to cause a noticeable pulse and that's got much more.