Ax Lightness P38

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I started a earlier thread in regards to Corima wheels but without response. This makes me think that maybe I would be better off with a pair of these but not sure whether to order with the standard Tune hubs or the Extralights......which way should I go are the EL's as durable/smooth as the Tunes? Must say am not a big fan of the J pull spokes. [Asthetically that is]

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

While I don't have AX rims... I do have the newest EL's rear hub on my Enve 3.4... waiting for the weather to get better,so I can take off my bad weather Al rims.. just by spinning the free hub they are not as loud as Tune 170.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I just received the P38 with Extralite hubs. Just got them glued up today but hope to get a ride on them shortly. Mine came in a little under the claimed weight. There should be plenty of reviews regarding the longevity and maintenance of Extralite hubs.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Ok, sorry for the slow reply. Just got back from our vacation and have not been able to access the Internet, how do the ride etc, happy with your choice?

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Could not be happier. Too early to talk about longevity of the hubs, but the Extralite Ultra hubs have been around for quite some time and I haven't heard any harrowing tales.
The rims are very, very impressive.
My Cycling Blog

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

2 shorts ride in with my hubs ~35 miles each. Very smooth .. And quiet compared to my last 2 hubs used.
Powertap G3 and Tune 170... I plan for them to be only fair weather wheels and will purchase the special lube from Fairwheel shortly
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Thanks for the replies. Very close on a pair of corima aero+ mcc's but am going to look closer at the p38's......certainly in time to change the order :)

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Question, I see the P38s are 26mm, what width tires are you using? They would be going on a Dogma 65.1 and 25mm tires would be tight, measure between the chain stays it is ~30mm. I currently run Zipps FC 303s which I realise are 26 also but have 22mm conti's which are too narrow, leaves the brake track quite vunreable.......thoughts??
BB

Coffee & carbon

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I have Veloflex Extreme tires on mine. They are about 22.15mm wide (oops, I didn't measure at a high PSI, but oh well) and I think are a good fit in terms of aerodynamics (simulation software anyone?) and performance. Of course you can run as wide as your frame will allow, but with 22's, my reaction is not that the brake track is vulnerable. The tire and the brake track appear to be almost in-line. Of course, if you take it off road and hit golf-ball and grapefruit sized rocks you might get a few dings but I'm not sure a 26 would help all that much. I have a favorite area that requires such shenanigans and my old Reynolds held up well, but to keep the AX wheels looking pretty I might alter the route or go with the Reynolds - most likely the former. However, if the 22 goes flat, it's probably a good idea to stop at once.
My Cycling Blog

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi jvanv my research is a little amiss but can you confirm is the Extralights have j bend or straight pull spokes, or perhaps some of each? Thanks in advance. I will be sticking to the black top when riding. With the brake track I currently ride Zipps FC 303 tubs and have Conti GP 4000's fitted. I must have found a stone(zero off road riding) and it took a chunk out of the BT. Non structual damage so I filled and shaved it with PPG ceramic clear. All is good but would like to avoid that scenario if I can.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Straight pull all the way around.
My Cycling Blog

beanbiken

by beanbiken

:) Thank you for that.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Not sure about the rims but I've been riding on extralite hubs (almost exclusively) since 2009. No issues. I do find the need to clean out and re-grease the freehub once a season (twice if I've been riding in really crappy weather). It's a 10 minute job, there's only 2 pawls.
Speedplay is the devil!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

The front hub threw me for a loop... just put them on as usual with logo in the correct "readable" orientation for the rider but it turns out it needs to flipped around the other way. Not sure what the "consequences" are of riding the front wheel in the opposite direction but I suppose the preload adjuster can loosen??
My Cycling Blog

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jvan8, i am interested to know what wheels you have been using before and if you find P38 braking better, same or worse than other makes/ brands?
Personally, i must say i wish the industry could develop much smarter brake tracks.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com