Looking for hubs to use with Campag EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

So 32 3x with brass nipples?

2x front for aesthetics more than Ny other reason plus I've had no issues so far.

Prolock simply for the fact that dt appear not to do brass nipples in black.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You won't have problems with 2x on the front I like the look of 3x for 32H. Each to there own.

Sapim do black brass nipples. I use alloy nipples with this wheelset. no issues but I don't consider the rim one for wet weather which is probbaly why there are no issues.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

They won't be all weather wheels but will get wet occasionally.

Forgot to check Sapim. Thanks

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Without seeing you ride so not knowing what your style is like, or whether you are a spinner or a user of higher ratios with a (possibly comensurate but OK, I know it's not always the case) smoother torque delivery, I don't think I'd recommend Lasers on the gear side - maybe better to go with Race and gain in rigidity and less spoke elongation what you loose in weight - unless it's more of a vanity project and practicality is less of an issue.

Sapim generally used to advise against Laser on GS rear and on brake-side F with discs ... (Sapim publication "What is a Good Wheel", 2009-12, haven't seen a more recent version) - the recommendation isn't on the website any more but last time I spoke to Klaus Greutner, their tech guru, it was still the case.

If you *really* want to save weight and the cost is not so much of an issue, Sapim Super Spokes could be used (careful of wind-up on the gear side particularly), use Sapim Alloy nipples (Sapim's recommendation, coated for lower friction). They don't appear to have the same qualms about GS use of Super Spokes as they do Lasers - I assume the different stainless that is used in the SS holds the key to the difference in recommendation, given that Lasers are 2.0 x 1.5 DB and SS are 1.8 x 1.4 DB

If you go with SS, bear in mind the approx 1mm elongation you'll get on the GS when you are selecting spoke length. Laser should be more like 0.5 mm of elongation.

My rule on wheels (most things, really) is pretty simple - in order to finish 1st, you 1st have to finish ..:-)
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Thanks Graeme.

Think I'll pass on the Super Spokes, the hubs I am using are 2.4mm or 2.6mm drilling so won't be a good match. Plus Chicken in their infinite wisdom don't import them, and I ain't paying retail!

Looks like Lasers front & off side with Race on the drive side and black brass nipples all round. Nothing I have is for vanity. Bikes are for riding, rains or shine!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have riden on many wheels built with lasers both sides and no issues. built many wheels like this too for other again no issues but a stiff rim is needed. I certainly don't do all wheels that way but wheels I would be happy using CX-rays in can certainly use Lasers boths sides. Sapim make some interesting claims on their website like spoke tension is related to lateral wheel stiffness, we all know that is not true, I wonder if there tech guru subsribes to that.

The reason why lasers are often not recomeded for the rear DS or disc brake brake side is down to the fact torsional stiffnes is reduced. However if the rim is stiff then this compensates for that. Also it helps increase lateral stiffness thus restoring spoke longevity. Also DH riders use CX-rays in there wheels (I think it pointless given the flappy clothing they wear but hey ho) and if you can use a Cx-ray without the wheel failing you can use a laser same wire stock after all.

Your final spoke choice is the way I often build such a wheel so all is good. Which rims are you using again. Chickens will get boxes for you. Got some force spokes this week from Chickens, took a few week mind.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

SO the build has morphed into two builds.

Build One is the original. These will be everyday wheels.

Record 32H Hubs with CULT upgrade
    Ryde Pulse Sprint 32H SYM with Black Laser 2X Front
    Ryde Pulse Sprint 32H OS with Black Laser 2X & Race 3X Rear

Build Two is as follows. These will be mostly for sportive & weekend/holiday use.

Stans 3.30R 24/28H Hubs
    Ryde Pulse Sprint 32H SYM with Black Laser 2X (or Radial?) Front
    Ryde Pulse Sprint 32H OS with Black Laser 2X Rear

Thoughs?

Miller

by Miller

I was wondering about wheel builds for a new Campag bike. You do all the sums and you can end up spending a fair bit of money on handbuilts that weigh about 1450-1550g. I also noticed that the Shamal Ultra can be had quite heavily discounted and that's a bombproof pair of wheels in the 1450g range and they come with top-class skewers and an excellent profile for tubeless. So I got Shamals.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ryde rims are a better bet than the stans, wider and stiffer. You don't have to spend alot to get hand builts below 1500g.

24f/28R ryde pulse spirnt rims, sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples and miche primato hubs weighs in at 1465g and cost alot less than shamals do on discount. Light stiff wheels with reliable hubs. I would have these over shamals any day. If i ding them i can repair these. Repairing a shamal is expensive and troublesome.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Well they're built and have been ridden. First impressions are very good. Tyres are currently Vittoria Open Corsa SC 25 which measure a whopping 27.9mm! But for aesthetic reasons will be swapped out for a pair of Open Corsa SR 24s. Weight has gone up a couple of hundred grammes compared to the GL330/DTs, so the bike now weighs a whisker under 7kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk