Please advice: Enve 6.7 SES or Zipp 404 Firestrike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Please advice: Enve 6.7 SES or Zipp 404 Firestrike

Enve 6.7 SES with DT Swiss 180 ceramic
66%
Zipp 404 Firestrike
34%

Total votes: 64

goodboyr

by goodboyr

10$ Canadian says there are no pics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

There are plenty more where these came from.
Try finding that many faulty ENVE wheels, I'll give you $10 Canadian.

Check out this youtube vid too. The 404 tubs, this is exactly what happened to my mates.
Can ask him if he has pics for your $10 Canadian if you like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tHeV7MkC8

Should I continue?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I'm completely mixed up. Are these pictures of the wheel you described, or did you just google zipp wheel damage and post every image you found? Because some of these pictures are of old zipps, some are of impact damage, all different.

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

harmonix1234 wrote:...But have seen the carbon side walls of Zipp 404 clinchers destroyed on normal, not ridiculous descents. Cracked right along the bottom of the sidewall about 6 inches. The wall failed and the tyre hence blew off the rim...

harmonix1234 wrote:Image
Should I continue?

If you plan on actually posting pictures of Zipp carbon clinchers, as I asked, I would be legitimately interested to see them. I didn't see one anywhere in there, though the shot of what's very obviously a Reynolds rim failure was a nice touch. Quoting here for posterity; hopefully the mods don't mind. :lol:
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer

drmutley

by drmutley

goodboyr wrote:I'm completely mixed up. Are these pictures of the wheel you described, or did you just google zipp wheel damage and post every image you found? Because some of these pictures are of old zipps, some are of impact damage, all different.

Back on topic... U will find a thread on here about my zipp failures... I had a set of 303s, and 404s, and both destroyed themselves and damaged my frame exactly how harmonix described it.... To make matters worse, zipp here in Australia refused to deal with me personally, stalled replacing them (took 2 months) and 2 attempts.

I sold the Zipps as soon as they were replaced, and have had 3 sets of Enves since (45, 65, SES 6.7). Ive never had an issue after 40000kms in 2 years, despite our shitty roads, and frequent long hard descents (live in Adelaide - home of the Adelaide Hills and the Tour down Under). Plus the SES handle better in our winds, albeit it's not a massive difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to get insulting to make a point

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Funny because googling zipp hub failures always brings up your two examples with pictures. So.............?
What exactly does this ot attack have to do with the very specific question of these failures that have apparently occurred on zipp carbon clinchers descending???

ergott

by ergott

I would strongly urge you to save your money and skip the 180 hubs. If you like DT, just get the 240s. If you really want ceramic bearings, it's better to just get your own ceramics to upgrade the 240. The 240 uses a larger bearing size in the freehub body that will be more durable. The 240 will still cost less than the 180 after a ceramic upgrade.

highpowernut

by highpowernut

I have had the v7, v8 and now the v-10 zipp hubs.
I can tell the v10 is stiffer, more spokes /different lacing, idk just what I feel.
I would like it to have a set of enve with king hubs but can't afford the price , and the difference could not be justified by my skills.

As far as zipp failure I have had none, two 404 sets and one 101 set.
Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

I don't know why you would get any DT hubs, 180 or 240. They have to be one of the worst companies out there for durability. And I don't mean stuff breaking - it just isn't designed to last very long. When you can get CK builds directly from Enve or any number of options from wheel builders I honestly don't see why anyone would go with DT.

boysa

by boysa

I thought I was the only one. I'll never buy another DT hub. Too many broken pawls, and I'm no monster power-wise. I love my Alchemy Orc/Elf, and next time around will probably try WI.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Broken pawls? Which hubs were those? I've only seen the star ratchet system. No pawls.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Philbar72

by Philbar72

i've a set of 2012 303 firecrest's.

both hubs have been replaced, simply because the rear one was poorly designed, and the front would ralttle and come loose in the horizontal plane, despite numerous attempts at adjusting it to tolerance ( and it slipping out of tolerance repeatedly).

Their rims are epic, really good. the spokes are fine... the hubs are junk.

i have a clubmate with enve's. i am extremely enve-ous of them. they just seem a better wheel if made correctly. I've also got HED Jet 6+ wheels and whilst heavier, they are far better for doing roadbik based TT's than the zipps ( though they are weaker for sprinting)...

anyhow, i will never get zipps again. i'll wear these out and bin them.

boysa

by boysa

Calnago wrote:Broken pawls? Which hubs were those? I've only seen the star ratchet system. No pawls.

Sorry, lack of O2 to the brain. Broken ratchets, to be sure. Two sets, both with fairly low use.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

boysa wrote:
Calnago wrote:Broken pawls? Which hubs were those? I've only seen the star ratchet system. No pawls.

Sorry, lack of O2 to the brain. Broken ratchets, to be sure. Two sets, both with fairly low use.

Were they the old 18 tooth ratchets or the newer 36 tooth ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Both 18 tooth. The 36 tooth ones might have made sense when their price was reasonable, but now it seems exorbitant. FWIW, the hubs are laced to a set of Enve 1.45F/1.65R. The wheels were originally purchased as Edge... But have been replaced a few times. One crash replacement, two warranty issues.