Road hub choice for Enve 6.7 tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Succisa75

by Succisa75

After months of research and trying different wheelsets I decided to go with the SES 6.7 tubular.

Now it's time to choose a hub.
My wheel builder is recommending the CK R45 for the engagement and spoke tension, or DT 240 or 180 but I was looking for something potentially lighter.

What would be your thoughts between:
CK R45 (ceramic bearings)
EXTRALITE CyberRear SL and CyberFront SL (new models)
TUNE MIG/MAG 70/170.

BTW my weight is 75kg.

Thanks for your help.

davidalone

by davidalone

starting with the fairwheel bikes hub review is a good start. what are your priorities? is this going to be a race/nice day wheelset? or a daily driver?

ceramic bearings are a waste of money, save your cash. for my money, Chris kings are overpriced and overbuilt. I would personally go white industries everytime. cheaper and easier to service. weight is very slightly higher but it is a much more practical option, and if you ride them often, then its better. a CK hub on such a stiff rim is overkill.

DT240s are also another practical choice if your wheels are going to see alot of use- easy to service, spares easily available. with new 11 speed dimentiosn hey are now very highly regarded by most wheelbuilders I know for giving better angles.

the extralite and tune builds are boutique optiosn but I've never liked them anyway. too expensive, with bearings that can wear out fast due to small size. My personal priorities are usually on servicability and useability rather than weight, so YMMV.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I wouldn't use the CK R45 as servcing require special tools and is therefore not cheap. A hub with the same weight and is simple to service is the White Industries T11, good dimensions too. I would discount the other twoo hubs as the White Indistries hub is simply more relaible.

The 11 speed 240 hub does not give better bracing angles over the 10 speed. dimesnions are still 17mm/33,3mm for centre of flange to centre of hub. Flange PCD is unchanged. I never build with them because of this.

Slagter

by Slagter

davidalone wrote:
starting with the fairwheel bikes hub review is a good start.

+ 1

https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... ub-review/

I would go for the Tune mig/mag if weight is essential to you. Fairwheelbikes gives them a lot of praise due to the big bearings and larger axle. If you can live with a hubset 110 grams heavier, I would definitely go for T11. They are pretty bulletproof as described above.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm having my rear enve 3.4 rebuilt with one of those Extralite cyber hubs (has power tap G3 now)... my front is a Alchemy ELF which is not the lightest obviously but nothing wrong with it..so why change. My builder did not exactly "highly" recommend the extralite as an everyday wheel, but said it would be fine if I didn't mind the extra maintenance that might be involved. I took a look at the lube procedures for that cyberrear and thought... I'm ok with that. I should have it soon.. been shipped.. took 4-6 weeks for order from Italy.

I'd probably go Tune .. good mix of lightness and durability as far as I've read and pretty much available in many places.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Succisa75

by Succisa75

davidalone wrote:starting with the fairwheel bikes hub review is a good start. what are your priorities? is this going to be a race/nice day wheelset? or a daily driver?

ceramic bearings are a waste of money, save your cash. for my money, Chris kings are overpriced and overbuilt. I would personally go white industries everytime. cheaper and easier to service. weight is very slightly higher but it is a much more practical option, and if you ride them often, then its better. a CK hub on such a stiff rim is overkill.

DT240s are also another practical choice if your wheels are going to see alot of use- easy to service, spares easily available. with new 11 speed dimentiosn hey are now very highly regarded by most wheelbuilders I know for giving better angles.

the extralite and tune builds are boutique optiosn but I've never liked them anyway. too expensive, with bearings that can wear out fast due to small size. My personal priorities are usually on servicability and useability rather than weight, so YMMV.

I read their review a few times. Great stuff!
The wheels will be my daily driver buy I'm not riding every day. on average 3 to 4 times a week.

DT240's and 180's were offered as well but I was looking for a hub that was potentially lighter.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

spdntrxi wrote:I'm having my rear enve 3.4 rebuilt with one of those Extralite cyber hubs (has power tap G3 now)... my front is a Alchemy ELF which is not the lightest obviously but nothing wrong with it..so why change. My builder did not exactly "highly" recommend the extralite as an everyday wheel, but said it would be fine if I didn't mind the extra maintenance that might be involved. I took a look at the lube procedures for that cyberrear and thought... I'm ok with that. I should have it soon.. been shipped.. took 4-6 weeks for order from Italy.

I'd probably go Tune .. good mix of lightness and durability as far as I've read and pretty much available in many places.

I was considering the new CyberRear and front hubs from Extralite as they seemed to improve on the issues Fairwheelbike had with the SLX.
Heard great things about the ELF but no longer available it seems.

Tune has been the one I have been gravitating to but from what I read and heard on a YouTube video they are quite loud.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I had a tune 170 on a pancenti sl23 .. I didn't think it was too bad in the noise dept. I have seen that YouTube video as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Razor

by Razor

I wouldn't recommend the rear Tune hub. I've had problems with the Mag 180, and 2 Mag 170's. The are incredibly smooth and spin up real nice, but that rear hub is problematic. The front Mig 70, I've had no problems with. They build up into a really nice stiff wheel.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The tune170 I had were "used" the hub felt fine but was making little clicking sounds under load .. Lucky the eBay seller took them back.. I won't buy used again.. That way I can I have somebody to address issues. I do plan on getting a set of Al clinchers with mig45/mag170 built one of these days . On shimano c24s
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Razor

by Razor

spdntrxi wrote:The tune170 I had were "used" the hub felt fine but was making little clicking sounds under load .. Lucky the eBay seller took them back.. I won't buy used again.. That way I can I have somebody to address issues. I do plan on getting a set of Al clinchers with mig45/mag170 built one of these days . On shimano c24s

My previous 170 suffered a broken DS flange, it was a little over 1 year old. I was contacted by a WW member who was a distributor that said it was common knowledge that Tune was a having flange issues with the 170 but could not tell which batch was bad because they don't use serial numbers, so they were just replacing them as customers contacted them for the issue. Take that for what it is worth :noidea: .

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Razor wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:The tune170 I had were "used" the hub felt fine but was making little clicking sounds under load .. Lucky the eBay seller took them back.. I won't buy used again.. That way I can I have somebody to address issues. I do plan on getting a set of Al clinchers with mig45/mag170 built one of these days . On shimano c24s

My previous 170 suffered a broken DS flange, it was a little over 1 year old. I was contacted by a WW member who was a distributor that said it was common knowledge that Tune was a having flange issues with the 170 but could not tell which batch was bad because they don't use serial numbers, so they were just replacing them as customers contacted them for the issue. Take that for what it is worth :noidea: .

Thanks for that. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have had.

Looks like I might have to re-think the Tune option if this is happening.

Razor

by Razor

I really wanted to give the 170's a chance because they roll so smooth and the wheels are so stiff, but it sucks to go on a ride and wonder when your hub is going to start creaking and other riders say "what is wrong with your hub?". I don't want to hear that when the hub is supposed to be of high quality. Maybe I am just unlucky to get two hubs that may be from a bad batch or the only two hubs out of the thousands that have issues.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Razor wrote:I really wanted to give the 170's a chance because they roll so smooth and the wheels are so stiff, but it sucks to go on a ride and wonder when your hub is going to start creaking and other riders say "what is wrong with your hub?". I don't want to hear that when the hub is supposed to be of high quality. Maybe I am just unlucky to get two hubs that may be from a bad batch or the only two hubs out of the thousands that have issues.

Yeah sometimes it's just a bad string of luck.
Right now I'm between the Extralite Cyberfront and Rear and the Tunes, unfortunately I haven't seen any 6.7's built with the Extralites to know how they perform.

Slagter

by Slagter

Succisa75 wrote:
Looks like I might have to re-think the Tune option if this is happening.

Fairwheelbikes, DCRWheels and several other sites like the Tune hubs a lot. I wouldn't be too concerned. I would have chosen Tune hubs for my latest build, if it wasn't for a really good deal I got on DT 240s hubs. If you buy them new, you get the warranty - I wouldn't worry too much because of a couple of bad experiences here.

On the other hand, if I lived en the states and had easy non-import-duties access to WI T11, I wouldn't even consider Tune or DT Swiss.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com