Zipp Disk Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rjsupgen

by rjsupgen

I have acquired a Zipp 900 (part of a set, Zipp 909's) disk, dimpled, from a colleague. I believe the mfr. year is 2006 based upon the sticker/graphics layout and the hub.
This hub appears to be a 'flip/flop': freewheel road on one side, threads for track on the other.

I am thinking of bringing the wheel to a tool and dye shop to have the 'track' side of the hub milled off, as there must be a few hundred grams of weight hanging off of a fitting that I will never use.

Anyone ever try this? Intent is to have the hub fixed to a lathe, spun, and have the extra material removed in a precision manner.

Thanks,

nikonas

by nikonas

first problem is to find such a big lathe to grab whole wheel, they usually use it in navy or other secret places :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjsupgen

by rjsupgen

Good thing I work for the government..... JK.
Mount point will be spindle/axle -

Stefano

by Stefano

I'd just be careful using a lathe. No disc wheel is perfectly round and true, and at the high RPM's necessary to spin the lathe I think you'd potentially be in for some trouble. Not to mention the inertial forces transmitted through the disc, you could cause a huge mess. I'd use an end mill before I used a CNC lathe.

For this thread, posting with pictures and a detailed plan would be awesome so we can talk about locations of potential stress risers, failure points, the actual engineering of this solution... otherwise, your question isn't meaningful. Yes, I think it would be possible to relieve material on the hub in a safe manner, but there are also a lot of ways you could remove material that would be harmful/potentially ruin your wheel.

Interested to see how this progresses!

aerogurl

by aerogurl

rjsupgen wrote:there must be a few hundred grams of weight hanging off of a fitting

Aluminum has a density of ~2.7 grams per cubic centimeter. How many CCs do you think you can mill off?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjsupgen

by rjsupgen

Thank you for the constructive points, I will take them forward as this project matures.
Answers to questions: This project is to explore the realm of possible with modern engineering applications/equipment, techniques and asthetic design taken into account. It is winter in Europe, I need something productive to do and consume my thoughts as I ride to nowhere on my Tacx in my garage.
I am interested in creating a useful, structurally sound, piece of equipment based upon my individual metrics; metrics of original manufacture, assumption made, pertain to a broad spectrum of use population, wherein my numbers (power/mass) fall but do not pertain to the upper limits (excess material use). So, without significantly degrading the fatigue rate, nor compromising the structural integrity of the hub, how much material can reasonably be removed or modified such that the wheel is build for 'me'? Considerations, many - load bearing capacity of an aluminum body (hub) under angular stress: horizontal, vertical, roll, yaw (assumption is that yaw stress will be incurred from chain engagement/laying down power)? Yes, I could (and proby will) go out and purchase a brand new Sub-9, but what fun would that be? Pictures to follow, patience, I travel quite a bit.