Nemesis + CX spokes choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Great to hear from two expert wheelbuilders -- @bm0p700f and @ergott.

Would be interested in your perspectives on building Nemesis on Campy Record (old silver version!) 3xDS/2xNDS vs 3x all around on the rear.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

3x on the rear both sides. Never understood why anyone would want to use 2x/3x lacing it does not enhance a wheel structurally besides it would look odd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

saves 0.07g on each spoke length :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

ergott

by ergott

I do it sometimes for two reasons, $hits and giggles and when the 3X spoke NDS length (which is very long) is out of stock. I kind of like the look too. Otherwise, they both do the job fantastically.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Aren't you also supposed to be able to achieve a slightly higher tension on the NDS using 2x vs 3x. I have one wheel built like this (not by me) and it is fine. Personally, I like 3x both sides on a build like this because I like the look, and symmetry, I suppose. Either way, neither has posed any problems when properly built.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

Calnago wrote:Either way, neither has posed any problems when properly built.

If the tension is higher with 2X I doubt any standard tensiometer we use will be accurate enough to report it. It would be better to create a jig that reproduces the different resultant angles and measures the tension so things like rims stiffness are taken out of the equation.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, a lot of things are "theoretical" only. I've never tried to measure a difference but theoretically I suppose it would be. Having said that, 3x both sides on a build like that has been used successfully for many years. I like it. Classic.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The difference is in the order of 20N I worked it out once.