Hub shoot out: White Industries

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Starting new wheel build and have narrowed the field to the T11 (252 g) and the M15 (265 g). This is for road (yes, they make the M15 with a 130 mm axle). At 133 pounds, I'm far from a Clydsdale, but I like the added insurance of the beefier (albeit heavier) hub. My main thing is … I hate noisy freehubs. Any idea which is quieter? This will be with an alloy rim build, not carbon. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

The Dura Ace 9000 is the same weight as the T11 but is quiet. You might consider it.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

F45 wrote:The Dura Ace 9000 is the same weight as the T11 but is quiet. You might consider it.

Thanks F45...I'm pretty much committed to supporting the dwindling American components manufacturing industry, so I also ruled out DT, Royce, Campy, Tune, etc.

fa63

by fa63

I find my T11 to be pretty quiet. Not as quiet as my Campy hubs, but the difference is pretty small.

ergott

by ergott

The internals are the same as is the noise they make. At your weight the T11 is more than enough hub. No need for the MI6.

I've used Phil Wood Tenacious and it makes the hub a bit quieter. You could get a bottle of the stuff to go along. It's a good lubricant to have around.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I'm 95kgs (200lbs+) and have an alloy wheelset with T11's - not a noisy hub - quieter than my Mavics or DT 240 hub wheels. Campy hubs started quieter but got noisier with age. The T11's roll brilliantly! Can't praise them enough.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I love white industries T11 hubs, simply brilliant. Dura Ace hubs are excellent but are 370g for a pair so a bit heavier. Both as nosiey as each other. Both are worth the money they cost.

Slagter

by Slagter

The free hub noise volume, isn't that a question of grease in the free hub body/pins?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Or don't freewheel, its a sign of slacking of.

eric

by eric

You can use heavier lube on the freehub pawls to quiet them. But if you use too heavy a lube the pawls could stick instead of extending all the way into the serrations in the drive ring. Which could send you on your ear.

White Ind specifically says DO NOT GREASE the freehub (it's in all caps like that in their tech doc).

jlok

by jlok

Sorry to resurrect this post.

How do you tune the White Industries QR hub adjuster collar so that even the wheels are clamped it spin smoothly?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/20e/108/245/FRONT_HUB_OVERHAUL_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

The adjustment procedure for the rear is basically the same as for the front (link is for front). A 21mm socket works great to press the collar in as you tension the set screws. You can also use a short length of appropriately sized metal or pvc tubing for that.

jlok

by jlok

NovemberDave wrote:http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/20e/108/245/FRONT_HUB_OVERHAUL_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

The adjustment procedure for the rear is basically the same as for the front (link is for front). A 21mm socket works great to press the collar in as you tension the set screws. You can also use a short length of appropriately sized metal or pvc tubing for that.

thanks for the link.

I tried that method to set the preload collar, but when the wheel spins less smooth when the QR skewer is closed...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

jlok wrote:I tried that method to set the preload collar, but when the wheel spins less smooth when the QR skewer is closed...

It sounds like the end cap might be pressing on the collar a bit. Loosen it and take off the end cap, then put the collar on. Does the steel axle extend past the collar just a hair?
formerly rruff...

jlok

by jlok

WMW wrote:
jlok wrote:I tried that method to set the preload collar, but when the wheel spins less smooth when the QR skewer is closed...

It sounds like the end cap might be pressing on the collar a bit. Loosen it and take off the end cap, then put the collar on. Does the steel axle extend past the collar just a hair?

oh, never thought about that. I will check that soon. Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com