Light Tubeless wheel advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steelman

by Steelman

Looking for options on a tubeless wheel set that is entirely black and light weight? I currently have a set of Campy Zondas for training and looking for a lighter wheel option.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

H Plus Son makes all black. Not sure if it rubs off on the brake track. I think there is a new Fulcrum Zero "Nite" wheel that might be good as well.

tinozee

by tinozee

HED C2 all black tubeless compatible. I think there may also be a shallower carbon Chinese (farsports) rim now that is wide, light, and tubeless compatible.

Seems like there are suddenly some good options. I bet you could get a hand built set that's 1400g, all black and tubeless compatible for $500-900 depending on spokes and hubs.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

I'd just like to add that I would be very interested in hearing reports from anyone out there who is riding carbon clinchers tubeless. Particularly, approved tubeless models, but if people have done DIY conversions I wouldn't mind hearing that too.

On the one hand, it seems like carbon/tubeless is a great setup. On the other hand, it seems ludicrous given the issues carbon clinchers have had in the past and the claims about tubeless putting more stress on the rim sidewalls (I still haven't seen a really complete explanation verifying this claim...I have just heard it from a few manufacturers as an anecdote).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm running a tubeless Zipp 303 setup on my road bike, I run Reynolds 66's tubeless on my TT bike, and previously ran Reynolds DV3K's tubeless on my old road bike. I have never had an issue with them.

I'm a heavier rider, and at 6'4", I won't be dipping into the 160lbs range anytime soon (ever)! I ride in mostly flat areas, but do venture into the hillier parts of Texas from time to time. That being said, I have never experienced an issue with heat retention on my wheels. Even when I took my bike to California, and used my brakes as I never had before, I never experienced an issue. Remember that tubeless tires are, by and large, run at a lower pressure than regular clinchers. Where I previously ran my clinchers at 100-110 psi, I normally run tubeless tires are 85F/90R. Also, keep in mind that tubeless tires are designed to clamp onto the rim bead firmly, and usually require two tire levers to remove from the wheel. Couple that with the sealant which (depending on quality) will prevent air leaks in all but the largest of blowouts, and you've got a pretty good situation.

Regarding the original question, run whatever clincher wheel you want. All of the Bontrager wheels are black, and the decals are removable. Zipp wheels are also black, and again, decals are removable on all but the FireStrike 404's. Same thing goes for the older Reynolds wheels. What I'm saying is get the best wheels you can afford, use two layers of Stan's rim tape and go for it. Short of running tubular tires, tubeless tires are the best ride you can have!

Miller

by Miller

+1 on carbon clinchers with tubeless, have been running that myself this year. I would say that the claim they put more stress on a rim than a conventional clincher is just nonsense. If you want to run tubeless on your carbon wheels, go for it.

As to issues that carbon clinchers have, presumably meaning with heat generated by braking, I would say that's a separate discussion that tubeless doesn't really affect one way or the other.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ryde Pulse sprint rims 385g (alothough some are 375g). 22mm wide 20mm deep 17.8mm internal width. So as light as stans 340's but stiffer and wider.

Rear rim is off set. 24H front and 28H rear offset with sapim CX-ray or lasers and alloy nipples and light sub 300g hubs will lead to a tubeless compatible wheel set that will be 1230g to 1320g in weight depending on the hubs. If the Novatec A291/F482 SB-SL hubs the weight will be 1320g but it won't cost a huge ammount.

charlieorca84

by charlieorca84

Has anyone tried the Ryde Pulse tubeless and given you feedback?
Ive got some to build up on tune hubs and am intrigued by the idea!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They work fine tubeless tyres are a hard mount but there is no tube to pinch at least.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com