New wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I have just sold my cosmic carbone slr and now looking to buy my new wheelset,i am looking at enve 6.7 vs the new bora ultra 50 quite a price difference.
I will be doing the odd time trial but mostly general alround riding,i am edging towards the bora but the enve,s I have been told are lovely wheels,any input would be appreciated
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If they're going on your Colnago, then Boras all the way. If you're going clinchers, you will be limited to 23mm tires with the wider rims on your C59. With tubulars, at least with the Boras, you can run 25's but it's tight. I don't like the different front and rear profiles of the ENVE's. Plus, the front Enve is very wide at 27mm or so. The new Boras will be 24.5mm, a nice width in my opinion. The wider you go, the more it stretches what current brakes were designed for. And if you're running Campy skeleton brakes on wider rims, it's kind of a double edge sword if you also run bigger tires. Here's why... as you open up the brakes to accommodate the wider width rim, the arms of the brakes actually come down above the top of the tire, decreasing already tight clearance. So, if you combine that with 25mm clincher that will sit very high on a wide rim, you could run into a situation where the tire will actually hit the brake arms even though you may have adequate clearance under the fork crown. I'm sure we'll soon start to see brake manufacturers touting new brakes which are "designed" for the wider rims. Drives me nuts.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Thanks for your input calnago,they will be for my c59 I will be going for 23s most likely.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

TimW

by TimW

Calnago did a great post with a pic on the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127564&start=30

With the Campag's the bearings will also be amazing. Don't know much about Enve's (I guess it depends on the build?)

I'm also looking at the wider Bora 35s for my C59..or maybe Racing Zero Carbon...hmm. FWIW, I really like differential rim heights f & R. I think Miche used to make Supertype wheels like that and of course Campag do it on Shamal etc.

markyboy

by markyboy

I will go with the bora tubs or clinchers?
changed my mind as went into local bike shop and saw the enve
Last edited by markyboy on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

markyboy

by markyboy

bit the bullet on the enves with chris king hubs ceramic bearings :D
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

jordan00

by jordan00

good choice! i was horrified running enves on a colnago to begin with, but once you ride them you wont go back.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm still horrified :). But they are good wheels.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

markyboy

by markyboy

jordan00 wrote:good choice! i was horrified running enves on a colnago to begin with, but once you ride them you wont go back.

Whats the braking like on them?do they overheat?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

jordan00

by jordan00

Braking has been awesome! Wet and dry. I use the Swissstop black prince pads over the Enve pads though. found the enve a bit hard. Never had any issue with overheating, although there arent really that many epic descents around this part.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com