Pacenti SL23 Issue - Update with solution in first post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I had what sounded like a loose body bouncing around inside the rim. But no noise of an object tumbling around when I rotate the wheel.
I isolated the noise to the location of the rim weld. When I bounce the wheel and let it vibrate I get a real buzzing noise. It only happens with an inflated tire on the rim.

Is the SL23 a pin and weld design? Do I have a loose pin? Is a rim failure a possibility with this problem?

Update: problem solved. It was a loose sleeve - the sleeve being a metal form used to align the weld during fabrication. The sleeve is normally held secure by tiny dimples that are punched in the rim bed on either side of the seam. Occasionally the sleeve can become loose and rattle. The fix is to "re -stake" the sleeve by resting the rim over the corner of a work table and making the tiny dimples a bit deeper by means of a nail and an easy tap with a light hammer. Adhesives can also be added but I didn't want to add anything inside the rim.

Also worth noting that I received a nearly immediate response from Pacenti with instructions. Very good service.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hate to state the obvious, but a rattling valve? I assume you've already checked that, but just putting it out there.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Not the valve. Secured it with electrical tape just to be sure. The valve is also opposite the welded seam and the noise is definitely from the seam location.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.