Ax Lightness clinchers 28 or 45?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Racing2

by Racing2

After getting some real good feedback on the Ax Lightness clinchers i'm really enthousiastic about getting an set of these for my new ride. I don't like an low rim in front and high rim in the back setup, so it's gonna be either the 28's or the 45's. Now there are many pictures of the 28's, which would be te smart choice since they are the leaner/lighter and more agile, but the smashing look of high carbon rims are always hard to stand, decisions...decisions...hard to make even more so because I can not seem to find any pictures of the 45mm edition, not even on Ax Lightness site as for the starbike store where they have them in stock.

http://www.starbike.com/en/ax-lightness ... -clincher/

To be able to make the right decision can anybody provide pictures of the 45mm version?

Model Ultra clincher wheelset
Rims ax.Full carbon clincher rims for calliper brakes, 28 mm high
Hubs Extralite
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray
Spoke holes 20 holes front 24 back
Weight 1050g / per pair +/- 5%
Rider weight limi 100 kg
Area of use Street

and the 45mm version:

Model Ultra clincher wheelset
Rims ax.Full carbon clincher rims for calliper brakes, 45 mm high
Hubs Extralite
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray
Spoke holes 20 holes front 24 back
Weight 1210g / per pair +/- 5%
Rider weight limi 100 kg
Area of use Street

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Unless you're doing uphill-only races the more aero set will be faster. 160g is not much.

Racing2

by Racing2

eric wrote:Unless you're doing uphill-only races the more aero set will be faster. 160g is not much.

This will be an set for the mountains so uphill is paramount here but also downhill maneuverability is an key requirement. In the past I've been blown of the top of mountains on my Bora's and have experienced pretty scary moments and close calls caused by bursts of gusty winds at 85 km/u streches with them so I don't know if the higher rims are the way to go when heading into the mountains. I switched to Hyperons then and they are an dream going up and downhill, but I can imagine the Ax's wheels with the wider rims and lower weight will even be better plus as an bonus they are clinchers. They 28's looks the way to go, but what if the 45 are better aerodynamicly and don't suffer the same issue's as the Bora's?

In the end it's true that there is only 160 grams of difference, and that's what makes it's hard to make up my mind, more so because it will probably also mean the difference between an sub six and an 6 point something bike, I know it's all trivial but this is ww right? I'm heading hard in the direction of the 28's but need to see the 45's before I decide, what if they are absolutely smashing? I could live with the 160 gram penalty but only if they're real stunners.

Racing2

by Racing2

I've continued my search and can anybody confirm that this an picture of the 28 and 45 versions? if so I think I still prefer the 28's but extra pictures from better angle's, preferably with tires mounted on them, are more then welcome.

sholiday

by sholiday

160g may not seem like a lot but from a percentage standpoint its over 15% heavier. Plus it's rotating weight so it will make more of a difference than 160g heavier frame.
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Wheels do not ride themselves. They need to be attached to a bike.

Rotating weight has little effect when accelerating and none at a steady speed as on a long climb.