bearing service in lightweight rear hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

after fitting a new tub i noticed the rear wheel feels just a little rough when spinning by hand, probably the result of a few years of wet rides

in case it's just dry/dirty bearing(s) rather than trashed, i was thinking of stripping them far enough that i could pull the outer seal on each bearing, to flush clean and regrease them

but i'm not sure this is doable without special tools (and the dt swiss kit looks expensive for the amount of use it'd get)

they're obermayers which i think is a dt swiss 190

i've searched ww and google looking for any guide, but found nothing

has anyone here done it? or should i give up and get them serviced with new bearings?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They're cartridge bearings. Remove and replace them. That's likely all it needs. I have the DT Swiss Bearing toolkit, used it a couple times but not on Lightweights. Still, I don't think there's anything really unique about replacing the bearings on Lightweights versus other DT hubs. I have several DT 190 hubs. Have been very good overall.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Only the freehub is DT.
Thats where the similarity ends regarding servicing.

The hub bearings themselves (at least on my std's) appear to be press fit in the hub, then peened over slightly. I've never touched them in 7 years.
Its possible the freehub is on its way out, pop it off and have a proper feel at the bearings.
From what Andreas from Carbonsports has said here in the past, it's a hybrid of a 240 + 190 body. Either the 190 body and steel bearings, or a 240 body with ceramic bearings, i can't remember...
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@jekyll man: I'm curious how, if either of the options you present (either a 240 body with ceramic bearings or a 190 body with steel bearings) would change the method of bearing replacement? Surely you don't have to send them back to Carbonsports to replace the bearings? I'm asking as I don't know for sure. But now I want to go get my friends Lightweights and pull them apart to see.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

My LBS could not free the lock ring holding the rear 190 hub bearing nearest to the star ratchet. It has froze after many years of service. The concern is that damage to the wheel/hub flange could occur if excessive force is used. Thought I'd pass this observation along.

sungod

by sungod

sorry, i should have said that this lock ring is really what i was wondering about

i saw it in the dt swiss 190 service instructions, it seems you need the dts tool to remove it

but could not find out if it is the same procedure for the lw hub or if the construction is different

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com